 Local / United Kingdom / 6807
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:52:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
Dear All

There was a letter in last week's New Civil Engineer which I shall reproduce
for you:

"I support the suggestion made by your correspondent (nCE 7 June) that
Meccano be adopted by schools to assist in the study of construction.
Unfortunately it is my experience that teachers expect children to construct
things using Lego, which although it has some merits, is absolutely hopeless
for modelling structures or demonstrating mechanics."

The man has a point. The typical construction of an inexperienced student
isn't likely to hang together very well, especially if it's built using tall
columns of basic bricks, etc. And things that don't hang together don't
demonstrate mechanical principles.

What is needed is to introduce some of the ideas found in an absolutely
brilliant work by an MIT professor (which reference is escaping me but which
most serious technic heads know of) on Lego construction idioms. Taking
these idioms on board results in much stronger constructions that imbue
basic principles quite nicely.

++Lar