 Local / Canada / Ontario / Toronto / 105
Re: UNITY for TORALS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on.tor
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 20:56:04 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In all seriousness, though, I have three main criteria for choosing a
group name:

1) It must not contain the word "Lego".  Otherwise, we're just opening
ourselves up to getting a letter from TLG's lawyers; they've
demonstrated their interest in preserving their trademark in the past.
'Nuff said.

2) If we're trying to include the area shown on Eric's maps - that is,
all of southern Ontario, we ought not to use "Toronto" in the name or
acronym.  It's not really being considerate to people in London or
Ottawa, right?  And one thing I like about RTL / LUGNET, is that people
are usually considerate.

3) It's gotta sound/look nice.

Obviously, we can relax restriction 2 if we want to be a Toronto area
group.

So, of the suggestions so far, 8, 9, 10, 13 are OK for an Ontario group,
and 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 12 seem fine for a Toronto group.  I don't mind
making it a Toronto group; and of course we'd welcome folks from all
over, but let's call a Toronto group a Toronto group, and an Ontario
group an Ontario group. :)

Jeff

Richard Noeckel wrote:

O.K. so, this is the current list of possible names for the group:

1) rtlToronto
2) TORALS (TORonto Adults Lego Society)
3) LEGO Toronto
4) LEGO GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
5) LUGTOR ( Lego Users Group TORonto)
6) TORLUG ( TORonto Lego Users Group)
7) GTLUT ( Greater Toronto Lego Users Group)
8) LUGON ( Lego Users Group ONario)
9) ONLUG ( ONtario Lego Users Group)
10)GLUON (Group of Lego Users in ONtario)
11) SQUID (? ? ? ? ?)
12) GATACA (Greater Area Toronto Association for Collaborative Ascension)
13)LUGASTGWTLBT (Lego Users Group Area Surrounding The Guy With The Lego Brick
Tattoo)
14) I.T. LEGO Society (Ingenuity’s thought) *I like this one,the name creates
an air of clever inventiveness that would pertain to a dynamic group, like our
own! Also the name comes across as a University, or Computes Systems research
and development sector.