 Local / Canada / 2210
2209  |  2211
Subject:
New LUGMap for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org, lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:30:07 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi All,

I’m glad to announce a first major change which is “visible” this time as well. LUGNET now has a brand-new, area-wide World LUG Map, simply called LUGMap. As yet the maps enclose 85 entries! Here are the details and how they work:

The LUGMap homepage is located at: http://www.lugnet.com/map/

There is a plain “World View” which indicates what kind of User Groups are present in specific regions. You can click a region on the map or use the text links beneath to get a more detailed view of this region. Senseful regions are (as matters stand):
  • ca - Canada
  • us - USA
  • sa - South America
  • eu - Europe
  • as - Asia
  • au - Australia
Each of these regions has its own regional map.

If you just activate a regional map without criteria, it opens with the full load of entries for this region. You can filter the readout by clicking one of the links in the “Show me”-area right below the map. You can explicitly dump from:
  • LEGO Users Groups
  • LEGO Train Clubs
  • Mindstorms Users Groups
  • Event Locations (no entries yet)
  • Legolands
  • LEGO Brand Stores (coming soon)
  • TLC production sites and branch offices (coming soon)
  • ALL (not recommened, too much overlapping on the map in some regions!)
All contemplable entries will be displayed (a) in the “Search Results”-area with the blackspotted border, right below the “Show-me”-area and (b) as pushpin symbol directly on the map.

On the map, you can now see as quick as lightning whether something is in your area or not. Simply move your mouse over the pins or the surrounding area to read the name of the club or group.

In the “Search Results”-area, these entries are listed alphabetically. If the entry has it’s own website, the globe symbol is coloured and you can click the globe to go to the site. If the entry has it’s own Newsgroup here on LUGNET, the News symbol is coloured and you can click it to jump into the web area of this group.

Sometimes you will know the name of a group or club but not where to find it on the map, especially if the map is overloaded with pins. In that case, just click the pin symbol of the entry in question in the “Search Results”-area and all entries will be removed from the map except the one you’re looking for.

Vice versa: If you have located an entry in your area, just click the pin on the map, and the display is blank except the information to the entry of interest.

Below the “Search Results”-area, I added 3 links as alternative possibilities to get similar information. This should be conducive to better interlink all the different community sites and LEGO resources. You can quickly jump to:
  • NELUG’s LUGFinder
  • LEGOFan.org’s Site Directory
  • BrickJournal’s Event Calendar
From the “Other Maps”-area you can jump to other regions or back to the “World View”. On the bottom of each page is a link back to LUGNET since I have not yet added any menus or headers.

You can link from anywhere to any of these sites without problems, you have several options:

http://www.lugnet.com/map/XY/

...whereas “XY” is the token of a region (ca, us, sa, eu, as or au). This will lead to the requested region, showing ALL entries.

http://www.lugnet.com/map/XY/?map_art=ABC

...whereas you have to replace “XY” as written in the preceding example and “ABC” is the token of a entry class:
  • lug = show LEGO Users Groups only
  • tlc = Train Clubs only
  • mug = Mindstorms Users Groups
  • eve = Events
  • lld = Legolands
  • brd = LEGO Stores
  • tlc = TLC offices
http://www.lugnet.com/map/XY/?map_entry=ABC

...whereas “ABC” is a Search String, e.g. “texlug” or “TexLUG”. (And don’t forget to replace “XY” too).

Maybe I will add an advanced search option later, but for now I would like you to have your browsers testing the maps :-) Please report any misbehaviour, so I can fix it quickly.

Many Thanks to Eric Kingsley who made the original World LUG Map over 5 years ago, it was a great help, especially by locating the different groups and clubs. But over the time, the maps became more and more outdated, so I guess it was time to give it a revision.

Leg Godt! Rene

PS: Please consider to set FUT lugnet.admin if it has to do with error reporting and such things. Thank you!