 Administrative / General / 13760
Re: New LUGMap for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:50:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:

   Will there eventually be an ability to zoom in further? It would be nice to be able to make out the locations easier at a regional level.

The day I started with the new maps and when I designed the pictures, I wasn’t aware of the large number of LUGs, MUGs and LTCs. I thougt it would result in a similar number as on the old maps. Hindsight is 20/20. Added to the Suggestion List: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/List

Perhaps use the Google Maps interface? I know it’s possible to place arbitrary pointers on it (with a popout for more details, websites, etc). Should make it easier to update too, as the data then just becomes an XML file.

Dan

Hi Dan,

IMO, “real” maps like maps.google.com, local.live.com or www.frappr.com always look somehow unsightly. They’re good for setting places on a very detailed base, like showing residences of club members etc.pp. But for a rundown on LUGs and LTCs, a minimalist map is more handsome (IMO).

I’d suggest to add a further zoom level for the US map, especially as most LUGs are serving a greater area and not a specific city only. If someone finds a LUG in his area, he will contact them in the group or via email/website anyway.

Of course, I would bow to the majority in the question whether to use a “real map” instead the static ones I use at present.

As for the update-thing: First I thought I would just give the old maps an update in its pictures. Soon there came more and more ideas and I added a plain text file as “database”. I guess it shouldn’t be a bigger problem to convert this into XML or to just write a little web-based admin panel in case someone is willing to maintain the maps in the future.

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Rene