 Local / Canada / 2209
2208  |  2210
Subject:
Hobby Show - Thanks and recap.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ham, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:53:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Wow, another November well under way and another Hobby Show under our belts.
This year makes our 4th year in participating, and what an awesome show it was!

First things first... I would like to thank Chris for arranging and hauling our display tables, without his help, we would not have been able to display at all.   As well, a huge thanks to Mike Sheils of Lasting Toys for sponsoring the major costs we have for displaying at the Hobby Show, and to Dave K for suggesting the idea to him in the first place.  As well, I personally want to thank Allan for all the behind scene arranging with the show organisers, which allows me the pleasure (and glory) of the fun jobs like getting the exhibitors and deciding the layout of the show.

Of course, I also want to thank each and everyone of you for showing up,
bringing your creations and hanging out for the weekend. It's so fun for me to
spend the weekend talking Lego, and catching up with old friends, and getting to
know new ones better. There were some very impressive creations displayed this
year, from one end of the display to the other.

Here is my overview... my pics to follow later.  If any of you post pictures of
the event, please add the link to this post.

The display started off with Bill's amazing red brick cathedral and impressive
buildings which were great show stoppers, also it was very cool to see his
collection of antique wooden Lego blocks.

The great ball, with Dave and Chris's creations, and my ball pump certainly got
a good bit of attention, and helped greatly with the fig sales. (Regardless of
the fact that that part of the display needed more babysitting than young
children would need).  That display was flanked by Dave's super cool pneumatic
train.

Jared brought his smaller space/mecha works, and James brought a  huge
robot/mech which was impressive and a very strange juxtaposition of style and
part usage compared to its neighbouring build.

That build being... deborah's amazing architectural delights.  Both of which
pleased the crowds and plenty of "oohs and awws" for her attention to detail and
downright beautiful styling.

Moonbase made a return this year, and space ruled under Canadian forces...
(Considering Jeff's new bundle of joy, I was thrilled that you managed to bring
your display this year.  As a special bonus, Jeff also had a chance to show off
his latest MOC, via pictures still left on his digital camera, what a fine
looking young man that has blessed the life of them both.)

Dave's collection of a classic technic cars in a multitude of colours always is
a fun addition to our display.

Jason, managed to dazzle the crowds with his creations in various themes.  Since his micros put mine to shame, I just took credit for them all.  His mosaics, puzzles, toys and sculptures, (as always) never fail to please, and his flag presentation is extremely "polished", wink wink!   I have to add a special thanks to Jason for bringing in some of his older builds as a favour for me, so we could keep the tables filled as exhibitors came and went.

Allan's totally awesome new and improved CN tower had the crowds astonished (and
considering all the touching that went on, I'm surprised the top only toppled
once.)

Through out the weekend we also had many ppl join us for the day or part of the
day.  Thanks to Anthony for his cool creations, my personal fav was the heat he
was packing (and his mom for braving traffic so he could join us), Derek's
working Ferris Wheel, Glen's bots and really neat micro creations and Oliver's
mosaic really impressed me.  Last but not least, it was great to see my good
friend Tilt who brought out his globe, which now just happens to be living at my
house, and if he thinks I am ever returning it, he is sadly mistaken. Wink!

Over all, Friday was a bit slow for attendance, but Saturday and Sunday were
well attended. At the far end of the display we added a kids building table,
which was very busy and well appreciated by parents over the weekend.

For a bit of fun we did a few silly games... "brick count" and "build in a bag".

Chris was closest in his guess for the "brick count", (although Jeff might have
actually won, but since I couldn't read his hand writing he will have to be
happy with second place! Apparently the judge is harsh!  Of course, it's duly
noted that deborah threw her vote away since she didn't want a collection of one
by ones, lol.)

The "build in the bag" contest was so fun for me to watch...we built a little
seasonal elf that Bricks and Blocks were discounting this past year.  The
results were pretty darn close, at first Allan was declared the winner, but
again, that harsh judge had to disqualify him for the fact that he feels elves
don't need hands.  As the rest of the builders raced to finish, (well except for
Jason, who quit because he wasn't going to win, and Jeff, who sadly had a bag
that just wasn't up to Lego standards and ripped open on him.)  Derek R stuck
with race to the finish with the best time of 4 mins and 30 "ish" seconds!
Yeah, I said "ish"... we are such a formal group!

Like always, I managed to destroy a number of MOCs, thankfully most of them were
my own!  As as side note, the fig sales (thanks to all builders that collected
funds for me) and donations made will allow us to start purchasing items for the
show, such as a banner, better quality table cloths (I'm thinking black, for
better picture taking, any objections???) and eventually a collection of tables.

Anyhow, I hope you all had fun, and I hope that you will all join us again next
year.  As well, good new is that we touched base with a few other AFOLs, that
may join us next year.

Janey "Red Brick"
posted on behalf of Allan Bedford and myself.

Until next year, build well!

(p.s. - If I have forgotten anyone, or there are any errors or omissions, my
apologies. I wrote this in a bit of a rush, since I just got home this morning,
and it's the first day of hunting season, the 30-30 annihilated a 6 point buck
and there is major butchering to do.)