 LEGO Company / 2741
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:49:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, William R. Ward wrote:

They pulled the plug on LEGO Direct a year ago when Brad left.  They reorganized
and broke LEGO Direct up, spreading parts into various sections of the company.
It's a good thing - LEGO Direct was a successful experiment so the entire
company is trying to move in that direction.

Just to clarify, LEGO Direct always had a limited time directive. The purpose
was to run outside the "corporate structure" long enough to get up and running,
then start to integrate the unit (and thus the ideas) into the organization
overall.

Brad left well after LEGO Direct had started to break into smaller pieces and be
moved into their more "permenant" parts of the organization.

And as a related side note, when we first started talking about the right way to
integrate LEGO Direct into the organization at large, we developed the Community
Development Team. I moved onto this team from day one, where I could then
dedicate my full-time job to the AFOL community work (rather than it being my
"other full-time job" as I liked to joke).

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison