 LEGO Company / 2689
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:25:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Terry Prosper wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Hi Jake,

I NEVER get involved with controversial issues on LUGNET, but I couldn't stay
quiet any longer (or I might explode into a million minifig parts).

First off, the color change thing.  OK, it's a done deal.
People GET OVER IT!!!!   If you don't like Lego anymore, then fine.  Just leave it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging the rest of us!

I think you don't get it.  It's about the attitude of LEGO towards its clients,
me, you, every AFOL and children.  The Color change is more than just a color
issue, but even if it was, it's still too big to get over it easily.

And don't make it sound like we (the rest of the AFOL community) are behind you!
They made a color change without our input.  They admitted that in the future
they would consult with us.  That sounds fine by me.  I'm over it.  I still
trust them. You can always buy more of the old stuff on Bricklink, and besides
Lego castles will look much better with 2 shades of gray mixed together, it will
look real and not perfect.

Then go buy MegaCrap, they are far from being perfect!  What about those of us
who were collecting hundreds of parts to build a giant sky-scraper in gray?  Oh,
sorry, we're not castle-fan like you, so we don't count?  Stop thinking about
yourself and look at the big picture.

And for the Factory, they started with Town.  So what!  It seems like everytime
TLG starts some initiative (for the AFOL community) there are always people who
whine about it.  Oh what about castle or what about space or what about this or
that.  Heck they cannot do everything at once for everyone.  Besides Town has
been ignored for quite a number of years.

It's not about the Factory website, but rather about the fact that Jake thinks
this will ease our pain about the color-change.  It's got nothing to do with it
and Jake was all wrong.  To be honest with you, I don't care about the Factory.
I don't have anything agaisnt it, it's a great gift to children.

4 years ago on Lugnet I started a letter writing campaign to KKK about how TLG
is ignoring us.  That letter got 126 AFOL names on it.  It never did make it to
KKK, because the next thing we know, Lego Direct was announced.  So they
certainly did heard us.

LEGO Direct was already about to get "out".  Your letter had nothing to do with
it.  But good initiative though.  You should have fought to bring the letter to
KKK.

Today we can buy Lego elements in colors we never even dreamed of 4 years ago.
Today I can buy dozens of different parts in Maersk Blue in Bricklink (or dozens
of other colors).  But some people just are caught up in always looking at the
negative.

Again, not seeing the greater picture.  You are blinded by your love for the
product and incapable of being objective.

TLG is not perfect, neither is Jake.  But they are trying (and in Jake's case,
trying very hard).  That is more than TLG did for AFOLs in the previous 40
years.

Agreed.  Never said otherwise.

For someone who has been involved with Lego for 44 years, I have to tell the
rest of you this:  For a long time no one has been more critical of TLG than I
have, and for good reason (I actually purchased 90 copies of one $5 set in 1987
only to get the 4 yellow windows out of each set).

We all do that sort of thing.  Imagine that your yellow window was gray, that
you bought it in late 2003 and then, the next month, they were changed...  Do
you start to understand why it is important for some of us?  All you seem to
think about is your collection.  I don't think about myself here, but about the
greater good.  Jake is not part of it.  Don't you realize that they have opened
a pandora box?  What if they change something else next time?  Like the kind of
plastic they use to make them cheaper to produce?  That's probably about to
happen anyway, with their financial problems...

But since 2001 I have now come to this realization.... in the 55 years that Lego
has been on this planet, there is no better time to be an AFOL than right now,
and it is getting better!

No more Space sets (SW is not about space, it's about a movie)
No more Town sets  (except on S@H)
Castle sets that suck

Yeah, you're right, it's the best time ever.

I've said enough!

(Now where is that blood pressure medicine...)

Gary Istok

A Lego Addict since 1960.

P.S. Jake, I know that some days you ask yourself if all this is worth it, well
you have my (and a lot of other AFOLs) heartfelt thanks for what you are trying
to doing for us.  God bless you.

I'm sorry Gary.  I've got nothing against you.  You have a different opinion
than me and it's okay.  I just think you, like al those who replied to your post
with "Amen" or "I second that", are not respecting the fact that those who
complain about the color-change don't do it for fun, but for the good of this
community, for the good of themselves (obviously) and for the love of the LEGO
hobby.  We are as much entitled to talk about it (and not get oevr it) as you
are to ignore these posts.  To tell us (as it has been said often in the past
months by many users) to stop talking about it and get over it is a total lack
of respect for us, for our opinion and for our freedom of expression.  All of
you who seconded that motion are guilty of it.  To me, This is far worst that
any whining about the color change.

Terry

Terry, I understand where you are coming from.  And your message was received
with good intentions.  But by bringing it up over and over again, the message
gets lost.

This was not the first time TLG made a major change.  They did it twice before.
Once in 1957 when all of a sudden all the windows that Lego ever produced before
(from 1949-56) were no longer compatible with the "new" Lego of 1957.  Back then
Lego windows didn't have studs on top but "wings" on the sides that fit into the
slotted bricks of the era.  In 1957 they introduced bricks with no slots, and
windows with studs on top.  So all that had come before were now useless.

A second time was in 1963 when ABS plastic replaced Cellulose Acetate.  The
color of the red, yellow and blue bricks made of CA looked a lot different from
those produced afterwards.

Like I said Terry, no disrespect intended, but it is the repitition of your
message, and not the message itself that is getting annoying. (Just like I'm
sure people are getting tired of my repeated posts bemoaning the fact that TLG
has not had a "window" system since 1979.)

Repitition is great in architecture, but it should be used sparingly in
conversations.  :-)

Gary Istok