 LEGO Company / 2678
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:50:42 GMT

Hello there

First off, AMEN! And offcourse, thank you for taking this up.
I think that the problems are the people whining about lego are the general
direction they've taken
the last couple of years, and see where it goes.
Off course TLC will have to "modernize" them selfs like everything else, but
this
also did go on behalf off the income.
Sure legendes and the sculputures are great, but the new sets dosent have so
much with
"traditional" lego as we used to know them.
And then again, people willing to spend their money on lego buys it
everywhere else like you said, bricklink, and
ebay, bricklit, and ads in the local news paper.
This is money lego could have had as income if they've had the product
matching the needed part or set or whatsoever.
For my sake, the last official set I bought was in 2002 the darth maul 10018
x 2,
and since then I've spent quite a lot of money on ebay and brincklink, thats
because TLC dosent offer anything that suits me, and my needs.
And since I can't use shop@home, I cant buy the few sets listed there that I
actually want.
Sure there are some parts and sets released after 2000 which is great, but
they dont appeal to me
because it misses some of the things I rembembered(?) lego to be.
And no matter what you say, I know the great majority are with me here.
Also the presentations in the shops has a great deal to with it, as the
situation are in Norway at the moment the stores
have only a little space for lego, and the sets spread around, well, it is
like I mentioned above.
So I think that if TLC will have a survive, they should go back in time and
see where things stopped.

just my thoughts for the moment.
sorry for any writing mistakes, and general gramatical errors, as english
isn't my native tounge.
best of regards

"Gary Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Hi Jake,

I NEVER get involved with controversial issues on LUGNET, but I couldn't • stay
quiet any longer (or I might explode into a million minifig parts).

First off, the color change thing.  OK, it's a done deal.
People GET OVER IT!!!!   If you don't like Lego anymore, then fine.  Just
leave it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging the
rest of us!

And don't make it sound like we (the rest of the AFOL community) are • behind you!
They made a color change without our input.  They admitted that in the • future
they would consult with us.  That sounds fine by me.  I'm over it.  I • still
trust them. You can always buy more of the old stuff on Bricklink, and • besides
Lego castles will look much better with 2 shades of gray mixed together, • it will
look real and not perfect.

And for the Factory, they started with Town.  So what!  It seems like • everytime
TLG starts some initiative (for the AFOL community) there are always • people who
whine about it.  Oh what about castle or what about space or what about • this or
that.  Heck they cannot do everything at once for everyone.  Besides Town • has
been ignored for quite a number of years.

4 years ago on Lugnet I started a letter writing campaign to KKK about how • TLG
is ignoring us.  That letter got 126 AFOL names on it.  It never did make • it to
KKK, because the next thing we know, Lego Direct was announced.  So they
certainly did heard us.

Today we can buy Lego elements in colors we never even dreamed of 4 years • ago.
Today I can buy dozens of different parts in Maersk Blue in Bricklink (or • dozens
of other colors).  But some people just are caught up in always looking at • the
negative.

TLG is not perfect, neither is Jake.  But they are trying (and in Jake's • case,
trying very hard).  That is more than TLG did for AFOLs in the previous 40
years.

For someone who has been involved with Lego for 44 years, I have to tell • the
rest of you this:  For a long time no one has been more critical of TLG • than I
have, and for good reason (I actually purchased 90 copies of one $5 set in • 1987
only to get the 4 yellow windows out of each set).

But since 2001 I have now come to this realization.... in the 55 years • that Lego
has been on this planet, there is no better time to be an AFOL than right • now,
and it is getting better!

I've said enough!

(Now where is that blood pressure medicine...)

Gary Istok

A Lego Addict since 1960.

P.S. Jake, I know that some days you ask yourself if all this is worth it, • well
you have my (and a lot of other AFOLs) heartfelt thanks for what you are • trying
to doing for us.  God bless you.