 LEGO Company / 2653
    Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gerhard R. Istok
   Hi Jake, I NEVER get involved with controversial issues on LUGNET, but I couldn't stay quiet any longer (or I might explode into a million minifig parts). First off, the color change thing. OK, it's a done deal. People GET OVER IT!!!! If you don't (...) (19 years ago, 19-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego) !!

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Darren Hoffman
     (...) thank you, I've been thinking the same thing! (...) that is true, and now you can achieve an even better look with 4+ shades of grey, try throwing in a couple of black and white pieces as well, awsome! not only that, but you can still get the (...) (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Nathan Wells
     (...) Amen! (...) I second, third, fourth and fifth that! Your job must be hell at times, no thanks to us whiney fans of LEGO. You have my heartfelt thanks. And that is all I have to say. (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

        Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong was Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Steve Lane
     (...) In my opionion, Lego direct is inferior to the old service leaflets you used to be able to get. Under the old system you used to be able to buy, in small qauntites, virtually any Technic part you wanted. Now you have to buy a whole 'service (...) (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gerhard R. Istok
     (...) Steve, I agree with you on the Technic argument. I personally haven't liked Town since the 1970's, but others don't see it that way. Around 1980 I started to build MOCs. Granted a lot of AFOL's prefer to build mostly what the company comes out (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Steve Dunn
     Steve, iv'e got your back man. I remember walking into a lego shop (in sydney) when i was a kid and purchacing the most obscure pieces, ie, the 2x1 tap peice required to build the distributor on the 8860. service packs don't have the bits i want. I (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Steve Lane
     (...) Your absolutely right, I've noticed this, it hasn't become a problem yet, but I haven't been building much lately. These small parts will really stand out if they're the wrong colour. Lego should only mould these invaluable parts in neutral (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Burkhard Schloemer
     (...) Consider it a therapy for those among us who still retain a sense of color. Fact is, the color change didn't help LEGO one bit. They just managed to alienate many of their adult customers. And their other typical customers apparently don't buy (...) (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —jan-tore skålvik
     Hello there First off, AMEN! And offcourse, thank you for taking this up. I think that the problems are the people whining about lego are the general direction they've taken the last couple of years, and see where it goes. Off course TLC will have (...) (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —brent skadan
     Thank you for addressing this. I was similarly irritated while reading some of the responses to the universal color list. And was motivated to write a rude response to some of the negative comments, but I knew that would not solve anything. I feel (...) (19 years ago, 20-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Rich Manzo
     Thanks for speaking up for the silent majority. (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Eric Brok
     (...) You're making assumptions about what the majority feels about this issue. It would be wise for both sides of the debate to just speak for themselves. Especially if you don't want to ignite a counterstatement. And Gary, as I mentioned before, a (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Terry Prosper
     (...) I think you don't get it. It's about the attitude of LEGO towards its clients, me, you, every AFOL and children. The Color change is more than just a color issue, but even if it was, it's still too big to get over it easily. (...) Then go buy (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gerhard R. Istok
      (...) Terry, I understand where you are coming from. And your message was received with good intentions. But by bringing it up over and over again, the message gets lost. This was not the first time TLG made a major change. They did it twice before. (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Ross Crawford
      (...) Well you believe it will help the community, and obviously so do some others. But just as obviously, there's a significant part of the community that disagrees. They could be wrong. Equally, you could be wrong. More likely it's somewhere in (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —J. Spencer Rezkalla
     (...) Lego still sells the old gray. They still sell bulk packs. Aren't you buying them? (...) Wrong. The factory is not intended to ease your color-change pain, and no one (including Jake) is trying to pretend it is. It is possibly the start of a (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gene Potter
     I am a lurker (and have been for some six years), sadly. Partly due to time to respond, partlt due to wanting to build, not gripe. I appreciate your words - they were made before I could get off my rear and post my own. I have only been a follower (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Burkhard Schloemer
     (...) *waves away the soap bubbles* You know what's even older than complaining, Gene? It's complaining about complainers - especially if the complainers do have pefectly valid points of concern. Your observations at WalMart indicate you have at (...) (19 years ago, 21-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego) !

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Derek Schin
     In lugnet.lego, Gerhard R. Istok wrote: Gary, I agree with a lot of your post, but there are a few things that I wanted to comment on: (...) Well, yes, as long as the two shades are old gray and old dark gray. Basically, while I agree that people (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Mark Jordan
     (...) At the risk of adding being a "me-too", let me add my voice of appreciation. Now is definitely the best time to be an AFOL. And I can't wait to see what 2005 brings. The grey cloud on the horizon - in my part of the world, retailers are (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Christian Treczoks
     (...) Telling other people to shut up when they voice valid concerns is not a very democratic attitude. (...) I wish you (and therefor all of us) good luck that your trust will not be broken by the next "great" idea from upper management. BTW, I've (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Leonard Hoffman
      (...) Is Jake achieving? Are you joking? Maybe you're just not going to BrickFest, ever reading Jake's posts or interacting with TLG at all - but I'd say Jake isn't just doing something.. Jake is doing A LOT! And by that, I mean >achieving< results, (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Christian Treczoks
      (...) Not joking. Only raising a point. (...) No, never went to BrickFest. Too far. Yes, communicated and discussed a lot of things with him, and talked to him personally, of course, when he was over here. TLG interacting? Now you're joking... (...) (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Leonard Hoffman
       (...) And what point is that? The point is only worthwhile if Jake hasn't done anything - and the reality is that he has done something. He's done a lot. (...) No I am not. By TLG interacting, I refer to talking with a few marketing represetatives, (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Mark Jordan
      (...) I have not seen one scrap of evidence that Jake or anyone else at TLC has been dishonest at any point in time. And what's more... FACT: The toy industry is cut-throat, competitive, season-driven. FACT: TLC is a privately held company. FACT: (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gerhard R. Istok
      (...) Christian, I did not tell people to shut up. What I am saying is that last week it has been ONE YEAR since this came out. ONE YEAR!!! Isn't it time to stop the grieving process over the old gray. You can still get the parts from the company or (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Gerhard R. Istok
       (...) I just wanted to clarify this, just because you don't like the color change, it doesn't make you ungrateful. I can fully understand those folks who are into space and castle and perhaps are reminded every day about how they pick or choose what (...) (19 years ago, 22-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —William R. Ward
      (...) They pulled the plug on LEGO Direct a year ago when Brad left. They reorganized and broke LEGO Direct up, spreading parts into various sections of the company. It's a good thing - LEGO Direct was a successful experiment so the entire company (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

          Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's Jake McKee
      (...) Just to clarify, LEGO Direct always had a limited time directive. The purpose was to run outside the "corporate structure" long enough to get up and running, then start to integrate the unit (and thus the ideas) into the organization overall. (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Scott Lyttle
     Christian, First off, I've observed several times that no matter what TLG does, you're not going to be happy. I like to say "you can be part of the problem, or part of the solution". So far, I only see you are part of the problem. All I hear is (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

         Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Christian Treczoks
     (...) Sorry that I gave you a wrong impression. One important point is that I am very straightforward - When I consider something to be a mistake, I say so. Because the worst thing to do with a mistake is to ignore it in the hope it might just go (...) (19 years ago, 25-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Johannes Koehler
   Hello! Yes, I appreciate what LEGO has done for me (me, being an AFOL, as I am only entitled to speak for myself) and I really like many of LEGO Direct's products. I simply love the concept "LEGO system" and that's what I'm grateful for as well as (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX) !!

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Justin Pratt
   (...) Did you just compare the Catholic Church and the Protestant Revolution to Lego and the color change? Are you the same guy who runs around on Slashdot and compares college kids being busted for pirating music to the civil rights movement of the (...) (19 years ago, 27-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

        Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's —Johannes Koehler
   Hello! (...) Sort of. (...) You must be mistaking me for somebody else. I am the guy who starts a posting with "hello" and closes it with "bye". And who are you? Bye Jojo (URL) (19 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)