 LEGO Company / 2701
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:41:04 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:
First off, the color change thing.  OK, it's a done deal. People GET
OVER IT!!!!   If you don't like Lego anymore, then fine.  Just leave
it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging
the rest of us!
Telling other people to shut up when they voice valid concerns is not a
very democratic attitude.

And don't make it sound like we (the rest of the AFOL community) are
behind you! They made a color change without our input.  They
admitted that in the future they would consult with us.  That sounds
fine by me.  I'm over it.  I still trust them.
I wish you (and therefor all of us) good luck that your trust will not
be broken by the next "great" idea from upper management. BTW, I've got
a nice bridge to sell, really cheap!

You can always buy more of the old stuff on Bricklink, and besides
Lego castles will look much better with 2 shades of gray mixed
together, it will look real and not perfect.
Sounds like you never actually tried it.

4 years ago on Lugnet I started a letter writing campaign to KKK
about how TLG is ignoring us.  That letter got 126 AFOL names on it.
It never did make it to KKK, because the next thing we know, Lego
Direct was announced.  So they certainly did heard us.
I'd daresay "Most obviously, not." The colour change fiasco is one of
the best examples: "Lego was not aware of the AFOLs at this time".

Today we can buy Lego elements in colors we never even dreamed of 4
years ago. Today I can buy dozens of different parts in Maersk Blue
in Bricklink (or dozens of other colors).  But some people just are
caught up in always looking at the negative.
Yea. I can buy ten shades of pinkish geen-orange lilac now. GREAT! The
even introduced new colours sind the bley desaster. But they are too
inflexible to return to the old grey.

TLG is not perfect, neither is Jake.  But they are trying (and in
Jake's case, trying very hard).  That is more than TLG did for AFOLs
in the previous 40 years.
Yea, I admit that I really belive by now that Jake is trying. The
problem is: what is he actually achieving? This is the one and only
factor to judge a result on.

But since 2001 I have now come to this realization.... in the 55
years that Lego has been on this planet, there is no better time to
be an AFOL than right now, and it is getting better!
There seems to be a certain distortion in your perception. Yes,
communication - on a certain level - has improved. Most of the rest went
absolutely downhill in the last years, though. The list of topics where
the performance of Lego dropped since 2001 is about as long as my arm.
In small print.

yours, Christian