 LEGO Company / 2711
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:49:15 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Is Jake achieving? Are you joking?
Not joking. Only raising a point.

And what point is that?  The point is only worthwhile if Jake hasn't done
anything - and the reality is that he has done something.  He's done a lot.

Maybe you're just not going to BrickFest, ever reading Jake's posts or
interacting with TLG at all - but I'd say Jake isn't just doing something..
No, never went to BrickFest. Too far. Yes, communicated and discussed a
lot of things with him, and talked to him personally, of course, when he
was over here. TLG interacting? Now you're joking...

No I am not.  By TLG interacting, I refer to talking with a few marketing
represetatives, or store managers, or product development persons, not to
mention various model builders, etc.  I've done all of this and it is 100%
because of Jake.  Christina Hitchcock, Steve Barile, and Holger Matthes have
actually met and spoken with Kjeld himself.
http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks/pics_billund/05_kkk1.jpg

So.. how exactly is interacting with TLG a joke?

Jake is doing A LOT!
And by that, I mean >achieving< results, not just spinning wheels.
Yes, he achieved some things. I never denied that. But he has to fight
an extremely dumb, fat and slow corporate juggernaut. So his chances to
move something from "want" to "have" are quite low in this company. I
appreciate him for trying this, though. And I'll try to help him
wherever I can. Even (and especially) by voicing concers in the open.

And this exactly is what makes Jake's accomplishments even more amazing.

But the one thing I see that he is not achieving, is winning the complete trust
of AFOLs - but then, I have to wonder if that is really possible.  It seems more
and more to me that there is a contingent of AFOLs and Lugnet that refuses to be
satisfied unless everyone else stops and cow-tows to their every demand.  Well,
aint gonna happen.
It is indeed hard to trust Jake. He is an employee of TLC, and he is
bound by agreements which prevent him from open communication with us.
It is not his fault that trusting a person such bound is next to
impossible. This is nothing personal against Jake, it is just an nearly
mathematical assessment of a trust level based on the surrounding factors.

Odd, I don't find it difficult to trust Jake at all.  He seems logical,
rational, level-headed.  I find it more difficult to NOT trust Jake.

We are all bound from complete & open communication.  There is a lot of
information that TLG can't tell us right now.  But there is a very clear
difference between 100% full disclosure and trust.  "Trust" means when Jake says
something, you believe it.  And I don't see how Jake working for a company
necessarily means we can't trust him.

I am a proud friend and supporter of Jake.  I am thoroughly impressed by his
continual love and devotion to the LEGO Fan community, even despite continual
attacks against his person.
As I said, I don't attack him. Indeed, I feel deeply sorry for Jake to
have to cope with us and that company and wish him all the best not to
get ground between the two.

I think the best way to make it easier on Jake is to not be a continual thorn in
his side by questioning his trustworthiness, his committment to AFOLs and his
achievements within the company.

-Lenny