 LEGO Company / 2653

Subject:
Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:50:37 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi Jake,

I NEVER get involved with controversial issues on LUGNET, but I couldn't stay
quiet any longer (or I might explode into a million minifig parts).

First off, the color change thing.  OK, it's a done deal.
People GET OVER IT!!!!   If you don't like Lego anymore, then fine.  Just leave it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging the rest of us!

And don't make it sound like we (the rest of the AFOL community) are behind you!
They made a color change without our input.  They admitted that in the future
they would consult with us.  That sounds fine by me.  I'm over it.  I still
trust them. You can always buy more of the old stuff on Bricklink, and besides
Lego castles will look much better with 2 shades of gray mixed together, it will
look real and not perfect.

And for the Factory, they started with Town.  So what!  It seems like everytime
TLG starts some initiative (for the AFOL community) there are always people who
whine about it.  Oh what about castle or what about space or what about this or
that.  Heck they cannot do everything at once for everyone.  Besides Town has
been ignored for quite a number of years.

4 years ago on Lugnet I started a letter writing campaign to KKK about how TLG
is ignoring us.  That letter got 126 AFOL names on it.  It never did make it to
KKK, because the next thing we know, Lego Direct was announced.  So they
certainly did heard us.

Today we can buy Lego elements in colors we never even dreamed of 4 years ago.
Today I can buy dozens of different parts in Maersk Blue in Bricklink (or dozens
of other colors).  But some people just are caught up in always looking at the
negative.

TLG is not perfect, neither is Jake.  But they are trying (and in Jake's case,
trying very hard).  That is more than TLG did for AFOLs in the previous 40
years.

For someone who has been involved with Lego for 44 years, I have to tell the
rest of you this:  For a long time no one has been more critical of TLG than I
have, and for good reason (I actually purchased 90 copies of one $5 set in 1987
only to get the 4 yellow windows out of each set).

But since 2001 I have now come to this realization.... in the 55 years that Lego
has been on this planet, there is no better time to be an AFOL than right now,
and it is getting better!

I've said enough!

(Now where is that blood pressure medicine...)

Gary Istok

A Lego Addict since 1960.

P.S. Jake, I know that some days you ask yourself if all this is worth it, well
you have my (and a lot of other AFOLs) heartfelt thanks for what you are trying
to doing for us.  God bless you.

Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
I NEVER get involved with controversial issues on LUGNET, but I couldn't stay
quiet any longer (or I might explode into a million minifig parts).

First off, the color change thing.  OK, it's a done deal.
People GET OVER IT!!!!   If you don't like Lego anymore, then fine.  Just leave it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging the rest of us!

thank you, I've been thinking the same thing!

Lego castles will look much better with 2 shades of gray mixed together, it will
look real and not perfect.

that is true, and now you can achieve an even better look with 4+ shades of
grey, try throwing in a couple of black and white pieces as well, awsome! not
only that, but you can still get the assorted grey bricks from LEGO, and not all
that bad of a price, when you consider the free shipping, and no sales tax,
(thats a big savings in NY!).

And for the Factory, they started with Town.  So what!  It seems like everytime
TLG starts some initiative (for the AFOL community) there are always people who
whine about it.  Oh what about castle or what about space or what about this or
that.  Heck they cannot do everything at once for everyone.  Besides Town has
been ignored for quite a number of years.
Today we can buy Lego elements in colors we never even dreamed of 4 years ago.
Today I can buy dozens of different parts in Maersk Blue in Bricklink (or dozens
of other colors).

YES, and all these new pieces and colors make great contrast for buildings. just
go into your town, and take a closer look, do you see 8 colors? I don't, I see
thousands!

But some people just are caught up in always looking at the
negative.

TLG is not perfect, neither is Jake.  But they are trying (and in Jake's case,
trying very hard).  That is more than TLG did for AFOLs in the previous 40
years.

case in point, I just stopped in at walgreens, and bought several sets at
retail, (I haven't done that in a while!), and ended up paying just over $.01
per piece. not junk, either, I think I'm going to hold onto 80% of them for
future use. thats my two cents, Darren

Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
   First off, the color change thing. OK, it’s a done deal. People GET OVER IT!!!! If you don’t like Lego anymore, then fine. Just leave it to your nephews or nieces and buy Megablocks, and quit bugging the rest of us!

Amen!

   P.S. Jake, I know that some days you ask yourself if all this is worth it, well you have my (and a lot of other AFOLs) heartfelt thanks for what you are trying to doing for us. God bless you.

I second, third, fourth and fifth that! Your job must be hell at times, no thanks to us whiney fans of LEGO. You have my heartfelt thanks.

And that is all I have to say.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong was Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
4 years ago on Lugnet I started a letter writing campaign to KKK about how TLG
is ignoring us.  That letter got 126 AFOL names on it.  It never did make it to
KKK, because the next thing we know, Lego Direct was announced.  So they
certainly did heard us.

In my opionion, Lego direct is inferior to the old service leaflets you used to
be able to get. Under the old system you used to be able to buy, in small
qauntites, virtually any Technic part you wanted. Now you have to buy a whole
'service pack' which is over priced, contains many parts you don't want and has
genrally been juniorized.

[...]

No it's not, it's getting worse. I'm totally biased towards technic, but the
whole range is going down the crapper. At least last year we had the Jcb with
ten pnumatic cylinders, this year the only two main models are a rubbish truck
and a jeep which doesn't do much. You can get a re-issued pnumatic crane as
well, but it'd be cheaper second hand off Ebay.

I'll go to bricklink and Ebay to my parts from now on.

Steve

[...]

Steve,

I agree with you on the Technic argument.  I personally haven't liked Town since
the 1970's, but others don't see it that way.  Around 1980 I started to build
MOCs.  Granted a lot of AFOL's prefer to build mostly what the company comes out
with.  But I am like many other AFOLs prefer to build MOCs.  I really like
Bricklink for the opportunity it gives us to buy more of the items from "the
good old days", whenever that was (it is different for each of us).  Town today
is a shell of its' former self.  I know that space people are not happy.  And as
you stated Technic is not what it once was.  But I think in a sense that all
Lego System have gone thru the "doldrums".  Can we as AFOLs change that?  I
doubt it.  Perhaps we are asking or expecting more of Lego Direct than their
mandate allows.

As we can see the Lego train system is where a lot of attention has gone lately.
Usually what is good for train, is good also for town (as can be seen with a lot
of MOCs using train windows as town building windows).

When I see a new set, I look at its "harvesting" potential, what good spare
parts I can get out of it for use in MOCs.  Where I see potential, others see
disappointment.  And I can understand that.  But I have never expected TLG to
give me sets that I WANT, or that I know what others will want .  That would be
very presuptuous of me.  I am just glad that they are getting the scarcer parts
out to Bricklink.

I just think that rehashing the same old discussion about the color change over
and over again (how many months has it been since we found out?) gets to be
counterproductive.

Again, I was stating "this is the best time to be an AFOL", from a "parts for
MOC" point of view, and not from a point of view of the sets that TLG is
producing (like I said, I haven't been pleased with the stuff they have produced
since the 1970's).  I should have made that clarification.

Gary Istok

Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's