 LEGO Company / 2742
2741  |  2743
Subject:
AFOLs and Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:18:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

My colleague, Jan Beyer has asked me to pass along word of something cool he’s working on.

As he works to help community build and spread even further in Europe, he was thinking it might be fun to pull together an AFOL Mindstorms competition. Sorta like a one-time First LEGO League for AFOLs.

If you’re interested, the details are below. We’d love to hear you feedback and ideas.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Team

Dear LEGO and Mindstorms enthusiasts,

As announced previously, we have have been thinking of doing an AFOL LEGO Mindstorms tournament in the LEGOLAND Billund/Denmark. Now we are ready to plan on an event.

Place: LEGOLAND Billund
Date: 2nd /3rd or 9th /10th April 2005 (we’d like to hear your feedback which day fits best for you)
Minimum number of teams: 6 otherwise we will cancel the tournament
Minimum number of participants in each team: 3 persons
Last day for firm application: 1st February 2005

You will get the needed information about the game 2 weeks before the tournament begins, so you can start working at home but you will get a normal LEGO Mindstorms kit from us in Billund so you are not allowed to take any of your own Mindstorms parts with you but you are more than welcome to take some of your MOCs with you we can show off if you like.

Here is the agenda for the championship days:

Day 1, Saturday

14:30 Welcome in the LEGOLAND Billund. Each team will get a normal LEGO Mindstorms Set to use it in the tournament and will have access to a variety of different LEGO bricks for design matter.

15:00 The challenge is announced, and you will have until 18.00 to build the robot. During that time you can practice on the tournament table also, but only one team a time.

18:00 LEGOLAND closes and the robot must stay at the table. We all go to dinner.

Day 2. Sunday

10:00 The LEGOLAND Park opens and you will have 2 hours to fine tune your robot. You will again be able to practice at the tournament table.

12:00 The tournament begins.

13:00 Award ceremony and lunch

There will be prizes for the best working robot and the best designed robot and every team can keep the Mindstorms set they’ve got from us.

So if you like to take part in this ultimate AFOL LEGO Mindstorms tournament and compete against teams from other European AFOL communities and the LEGO All Star team please register your team as soon as possible.

You need to pay for your travel and your Bed and Breakfast in Billund, while LEGO will pay for the food and beverages on the two tournament days.

If you have further questions or if you want to register don’t hesitate to contact me under jan.beyer@europe.lego.com.

I am looking forward to seeing you in Billund in April next year,

Jan