 LEGO Company / 2742
  AFOLs and Mindstorms

My colleague, Jan Beyer has asked me to pass along word of something cool he's working on. As he works to help community build and spread even further in Europe, he was thinking it might be fun to pull together an AFOL Mindstorms competition. Sorta (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

This sounds like a lotta fun, if not somewhat short notice. One critical question, regarding the competition itself: What is the programming environment? -Ted (...) (19 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

Jake McKee writes: > My colleague, Jan Beyer has asked me to pass along word of > something cool he's working on. > > As he works to help community build and spread even further in > Europe, he was thinking it might be fun to pull together an AFOL > (...) (19 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) I hope they allow whatever programming environment you are comfortable with / used to! This sounds like a blast! -- David Schilling (19 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Jake/Jan Sounds cool. Sign me up. The software allowed is a big question. The other issue that could easily be a problem is "table time". With at least six teams, using one table, one at a time, it may be necessary to impose some kind of time (...) (19 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

"Steve Hassenplug" <steve@teamhassenplug.org> schreef in bericht news:I7ouDv.1LGG@lugnet.com... (...) cool (...) the (...) but (...) your (...) least (...) some (...) spend (...) Hassenplug, (...) Programming environment sounds easy to me: You get (...) (19 years ago, 27-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Yes, that sounds easy. But keep in mind Pitsco sells the Mindstorms set with RoboLab software. And, looking around at Lego.com, you can find LEGO's own text-based programming language, Mindscript, available for download. Most AFoLs seem to use (...) (19 years ago, 29-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

I got answers to a some of the questions we've been asking from Jan Beyer about the contest. Question: There seems to be two aspects to the competition. You mention registration is required by February "so you can work at home", as well as an event (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  RE: AFOLs and Mindstorms

David, I think by pressure sensors they mean touch sensors. Scott -----Original Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway...ugnet.com] On Behalf Of David Schilling Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 1:41 PM To: (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) How about 2 "Touch" sensors? I thought the same thing, the first time I read it (when Jan replied to my e-mail, earlier today :) Steve (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Huh. They might want to clarify/restrict that, just a bit. Unless they really mean for people to write all their code ahead of time, and bring it with them. Steve (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Oh, that makes sense. I guess I was too excited about the possibility of a new sensor that I overlooked the obvious! -- David Schilling (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) The main thing is that it's even for everyone. Allowing everyone to bring pre-written code is fair. On the other hand, not allowing anyone to bring pre-written code would also be fair. It kind of comes down to how they want to organize the (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Three hours for building and programming is *extremely* tight, even with a second two hour session the next day if everything had to be done from scratch. I've run a couple of competitions that way, but only because more time wasn't available. (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) Sorry for taking so long to follow-up on this! A few answers from Jan: The Programming environment: You will get a normal Mindstorms set from us, the latest version. Software: see above, normal LEGO Mindstorms Software Jake --- Jake McKee (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms

(...) I'll bet the rules are still subject to change. If anyone has an opinion, about what would be better, they should express it to Jake and Jan Steve (19 years ago, 30-Nov-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics)

  AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

Jan Beyer has sent me an email with current details about the AFOL Mindstorms competition in Billund including what the date will be. He asked me to post it, and it's included below (formatting is his). The other thing he mentioned is that there are (...) (19 years ago, 13-Jan-05, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

While there's still a week and a half left to sign up for the AFOL Mindstorms competition in Billund, I'm wondering how many new teams are planning on going? Or at least considering it? -- David Schilling (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) we (FreeLUG : French LUG) are planning on going. We need to know exactly who will go in FreeLUG, but it is almost sure to be present. see you at this competition :-) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) Well, since no one else is promoting this and I want it to happen: here's your last chance to attend the AFOL Mindstorms competition in Billund. As I understand it, if you want to participate, you need to register by Feb 1. See the earlier (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) Ok, I don't know if the deadline has totally passed, but this event IS going to happen. David's team and my team will be competeing against teams from France, Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands. I'll try to make sure either David or I post (...) (19 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) Excellent! Congradulations to both teams, and please do keep us "stay-at-homes" up to date on how it goes! While my LEGO can't go with you, my best wishes certainly do! (...) To both Dave & Steve - may I ask who is on your teams, or what you (...) (19 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) Well, I must admit, my team is not exactly a "dream team" of builders. In addition to myself, one teammate will celebrate the one year anniversary of leaving his "dark years" (when he got his Mindstorms set) on our way back from Denmark. And, (...) (19 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: AFOL Mindstorm competition in Billund

(...) As for the Italian team, it currently includes Giulio Ferrari, Marco Beri, Guido Truffelli, Paolo Masetti and myself. Ciao Mario (19 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics)