 LEGO Company / 2818
Re: AFOLs and Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:48:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Schilling wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.lego, David Schilling wrote:
Question: What programming environments will be allowed? Will computers be
provided? Or do we need to bring our own laptops? Can we bring our own
laptops/programming environments even if computers ARE provided?

Answer: All programmes will be allowed and you have to bring your own laptop.

Huh.  They might want to clarify/restrict that, just a bit.  Unless they really
mean for people to write all their code ahead of time, and bring it with them.

Steve

Three hours for building and programming is *extremely* tight, even with a
second two hour session the next day if everything had to be done from scratch.
I've run a couple of competitions that way, but only because more time wasn't
available. The number one request by virtually everyone who has participated is
"Need More Time!" So perhaps allowing you to use code you've already written
isn't such a bad idea.

I was under the impression from Jake's initial post that we wouldn't know ahead
of time what the challenge was and would only be told at the event where we then
have to build a robot from scratch. ("Saturday ... 15:00 The challenge is
announced".) Sort of like the BrickHeap Wars that I've run a number of times. I
thought there'd be a simpler challenge as the 'at home' one, that would warm us
up for the final 'real' one. But it sounds like we could almost just memorize
what we've built before, and rebuild it at the event. In that case, you reusing
code you've already written doesn't sound like so much of a stretch.

But re-reading the original post with the new information in mind, I'm fairly
sure that the event will be very similar to one of the First Lego League events
where there are a dozen or so activities your robot must do. Even if you knew
all the specific activities, since you won't have the actual layout until the
day of the event, there will still be SOME programming that will have to be
done. And quite possibly even the robot you built at home won't work on the
final layout because of some differences that you didn't expect.

Sorry for taking so long to follow-up on this!

A few answers from Jan:

The Programming environment: You will get a normal Mindstorms set from us, the
latest version.

Software: see above, normal LEGO Mindstorms Software

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison