 Castle / 1509
Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:33:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bryan Wong writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kevin Salm writes:
Reference:  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=227975305

- The box is likely the box from Lego 6074 with a totally new image glued to
the front and inside cover.  I am looking at the boxes for 6073 and 7074
right now and even the inside cover picture is different.  However, I would
bet that the rest of the box has been unchanged unless this seller really
doesn't want anyone to know it was once a Lego box.
- Notice that the box divider looks just like the 6073 or 6074 box except
that the printed words USE THIS BOX FOR STORAGE is not present.  I detect a
slight yellow color variation so I think that this has been covered up
(unless it was never on non-US Lego boxes).

Believe it or not, boxes may vary significantly from one area to another.  For
example, I have two 6080s, one from Canada and one from the US.  Here's a
brief list of differences:

The US 6080:
-Box is more "orangey-yellow" in colour
-Says "664 interlocking pieces."
-Says "Use this box for storage" on the inside
-Says "LEGOLAND Castle System" on the front cover
-Greatest difference: Inside of box's layout is similar to 6074 with two areas
sectioned off by a divider.

The Canadian 6080:
-Box is a lighter shade of yellow.
-Says "667 pieces."
-Lacks the "use this box for storage" comment
-Only says "LEGOLAND" on the front cover
-Inside of box has a *hard plastic tray* for storage of pieces!

So maybe this makes our Interesting Castle on eBay more of a mystery...

- The most valuable pieces from set 6074 are not present in this auction
offering.  Likely harvested out; other pieces added to compensate and make a
more "complete" castle.

The fact that the "valuable" pieces have been removed seems awfully fishy to
me...

Perhaps we should ask the winner of the auction to verify our questions?

Bryan

Has anyone emailed the winner and asked them to enlighten us when they
receive the set?  After all the controversy, it would seem like a good idea!
I'm curious if the winner thinks they bought a true lego set or not.  I
still don't believe the seller is behind any fraud or conspiracy.  I think
it's the company that's questionable!