 Castle / 1391
Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dan Jezek writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Thompson writes:
Interesting theory.

However,

1.  It seems like a lot of work for someone to kludge up
a new image to paste on the cover of an existing box.  What
some people won't do for money .... but it seems like too
much work to me.

More tellingly,

2.  The castle wall corners appear to be round (look in the bottom
picture showing the contents of the set, in the left half of
the box).  It looks awfully round to me, and therefore wouldn't
be a genuine LEGO element.

My guess - it's a clone, and the person is legitimately describing
the pieces when he says that there are no logos on the studs.

If Margo K is making the winning bid on the set, I hope she will
tell us the results of the winnings after she's gotten her hands
on the set.

This point of yours ("The most valuable pieces from set 6074 are not present
in this auction offering.  Likely harvested out; other pieces added to
compensate and make a more "complete" castle.") is fairly compelling
to my suspicious mind, though.

I don't believe this.
Why would someone go through all the trouble of making a fake box just because
they wanted to keep the special pieces from that set?  If they wanted to just
get the pieces, they could auction off the rest for parts and I'm sure that
the total amount they would make on breaking up the set for parts would be
roughly the same what they'll get for this set or maybe a little less.
It does seem too much work just to make a few extra bucks.
Dalu cannot mean Lego in arabian.  Lego doesn't have any other meaning.  It's
just lego and it's a name of a company and a product.  I can see an arabian
name for house or a horse or a bowl of soup but not lego.
For the conclusion, this cannot be an official lego set.  It is either a
clone, a fake (which is hard to believe) or another possibility is partial
lego and partial other brand.  Those horses and shields just look too much
like lego to be anything else.
I don't think the seller is trying to deceive anyone!  In his email to me,
he stated that he didn't know much about lego.  He was also upfront in
telling me that the pieces didn't have the lego logo on them.  I think that
he was convinced that the set was an arabic issue of a lego set.  With the
similarities, it would be easy to be fooled if your weren't that familiar
with lego.  What I want to know is where is this company that is blatantly
ripping off lego clones.  What other sets are they copying?  And I would
also like to hear a comparison of their pieces to lego pieces!