 Castle / 1258
  Interesting Castle on Ebay

I found an interesting castle set from saudi-arabia on ebay: (URL) looks like a variation on the Black Falcon Fortress. Any insights from the more knowledgeable folks here? I noticed that it was numbered 708. (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) How phenomenally odd! "DALU"? "DALULAND"? I assume this is a translation of some kind? But why translate a product name? Does "lego" mean something in Arabic? Could it concievably be a rip off of lego? I'm not sure how copyright laws are in (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) And is it just me, or do those minifigs not have faces? It's hard to tell, because the scan isn't a great resolution, but it looks like the heads are unprinted. Weird...I'm thinking blatant rip-off, myself, but I'm not certain. Wonder what the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I'm thinking rip-off more and more - take another look at the Black Falcon Fortress, you will see a number of differences: (URL)James (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I noticed that too... but I didn't really think anything of it... I took another look at the picture, and it looks like they COULD be there... I think I could barely make out the mouths, but they looked like straight lines (no smiles)... (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Yes there are quite a lot of differences, but I've never seen, or even heard of, anyone trying to rip off LEGO. It is hard to imagine LEGO making a similar but different version of the set, but it is also hard to imagine someone trying to rip (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) copyright (...) (Does (...) horses, white figs?, no castle corners with printing, no black spire w/ printed flag, etc, etc... But there is a lot to suggest it IS Lego... after all, if you were a knock-off, you'd want to save as much money as (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Well, most of those similarities aren't just to BFF, but to all (large) Legoland Castle sets, so it may be a style knock-off rather than 1 specific set. I'm also curious as to how old this is - it may be just my read, but the auction listing (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) from (...) Yes, I am quite in agreeance... (...) I think my take on it is that someone bought the set in Saudi Arabia when it was released (whenever that was... BFF came out in 1986, so maybe roughly then?).. it was probably played with for a (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) That is just to darn weird!!! I looked at it, and it looks eerily like my BFF, but the minifig colors are not like any I've ever seen in a castle (looks like the hands are the same color as the bodies/arms), the crusaider shields are the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) copyright (...) (Does (...) (URL) really your average Castle set... Also, TLC would totally NOT change their logo in any case - it's not their style... ;-) If anything, they would've written a translation - but when I think of the Israeli (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) possible... (...) NEARLY (...) Yep. I was in it, I remember ;-) (...) Or otherwise, he was in need of money, so he faked the set... I don't know, but I'd bet rip-off - too many weird things about this set: the "translated" Logo, the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

IT'S A FAKE!! And what is more it is fraud and he can be reported to the internet and consumer fraud department. Most Likely this gentleman took a falcon fortress and made a total fake with suplimented parts. Infact I wouldn't doubt it if the person (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Can you prove it is? It doesn't look like a fake. If it is then it is a really good fake. The only thing I find out of place other than the set itself being very skimpy is that the "dalu" logo is not aligned in the center of the red square. (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

I'm not sure that thing is a fake or not, but the minifigs really get me; just why do they look like that? It doesn't seem as though TLG would alter the minifigs in a set (as already established, this one looks like Black Falcon Fortress). That logo (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Actually, there is a Chinese company that sells rip-offs of some of the smaller sets here in dollar stores in Canada. The boxes look enough like Lego to fool you, but the pieces themselves look to be of much poorer quality when you take them out. -- (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Common sense isn't common at all. Very good. Now why do you say this is a fraud? -- Have fun! John The Legos you've been dreaming of... (URL) weird Lego site: (URL) is yet another tool in the dumbing-down of America by a power structure that relies (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

I've been looking at this set for a while now... and the corner pieces look rounded to me.. at least the front ones that are easily viewable (by the 2 horses) and I noticed one of them in the box, it's by the yellow cardboard on the left side about (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

I am with Doyle on this one. This is not an authentic LEGO set. LEGO is LEGO. DALU is totally different. Even the Japanese promo sets from the Kabaya Candy Company say LEGO on them ((URL) Go to (URL) and look at the official LEGO address listings. (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) a clone of some type! I'm just surprised that we haven't heard of it before. enjoy! (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Reference: (URL) don't think the seller can be trusted here. I don't care what he types in an email, he likely is not truthful. Here is what I believe the situation is: - All of the pieces are genuine Lego elements - The box is a genuine Lego box - (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Interesting theory. However, 1. It seems like a lot of work for someone to kludge up a new image to paste on the cover of an existing box. What some people won't do for money .... but it seems like too much work to me. More tellingly, 2. The castle (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I don't believe this. Why would someone go through all the trouble of making a fake box just because they wanted to keep the special pieces from that set? If they wanted to just get the pieces, they could auction off the rest for parts and I'm (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I don't think the seller is trying to deceive anyone! In his email to me, he stated that he didn't know much about lego. He was also upfront in telling me that the pieces didn't have the lego logo on them. I think that he was convinced that (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Tom Reed <Merthyn1@webtv.net> schreef in berichtnieuws FntEHn.LoG@lugnet.com... <snip> (...) You're thinking the same thing I am, aren't you? Trying to find an easier way to get those castle sets and bricks! J/k :o) -- Arjan Brugman - (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

D. Jezek <danjezek@REMOVEaloha.net> schreef in berichtnieuws Fnt3v2.H6H@lugnet.com... <snip> (...) It's (...) arabian (...) If I recall correctly, "Lego" is Danish for "play" or something similar. Just thought I'd let you know. :o) -- Arjan Brugman (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

Kevin Salm <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> schreef in berichtnieuws FnsuxI.C8@lugnet.com... (...) (URL) (...) in (...) Man, you really went out of your way to solve this mystery! Great work Kevin! Just some small notes for info: (...) to (...) would (...) (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I have no idea where that big clone come from. Recently I saw some small LEGO clone sets in Toronto. They were inside one of those "insert coins to roll a toy in ball" machines. All of them are older small sets like 1733. There is no LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

According to the book, "The World of LEGO® Toys,1987, the Word LEGO, was coined by Ole Kirk, founder of LEGO, based on the danish phrase "leg godt" which translates to 'play well". Interesting side note is that Ole found out later the Latin word (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Yes, of course! %^/ What I meant to say is that the name of a company cannot be different in another country especially used as a logo on the box of a product. But someone else already said that and I'm not going to repeat it. :-x Seeing this (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

John Morgan <trees@utk.edu> schreef in berichtnieuws Fnu594.851@lugnet.com... (...) out (...) Yes! That's it! I knew I wasn't completely right. Sounds like Lego was meant to be. :o) Thanks for refreshing my memory! -- Arjan Brugman - (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I don't see how any of the pieces can be anything but genuine Lego. It is really hard to tell from the photos if the corner wall segements are rounded or not but I don't think that they are. If you look at the assembled pieces at the top where (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of "Shifty"? They are a Chinese clone that duplicates everything from pieces to sets to logo image. They are a true "clone" in every sense of the word! The only difference is the quality. They certainly (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I agree with you here- they don't really look rounded to me-- the shadows from the upper overhang make it look pretty flat. (...) I'm wondering on this one... suppose you bought a lego set-- how much would it be to make something like a sand (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) An inkjet printer would turn out good enough pictures for this purpose (...) What if he has a bunch of 6074s? I'd watch this fellow to see if he auctions more of these, and if in the future he auctions the rare pieces. (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

This is all starting to sound like a conspiracy theory... Someone already posted info from the seller that the bricks don't have Lego molded onto the studs (or Dula for that matter), they freely gave up this info indicating an ignorance of Lego. I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Most likely Taiwan. I know they do not support International Copyright Law. I have some CDs I purchased before I knew of this that are rip-offs. They were made by a company called Son May, which copies Anime and Video Game Soundtracks and (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) or (...) The wall corners are round take a close look its as obvious as day! also the lego corners are one piece, his corners look like the old mega blocks castle pieces. Doyle It's not all lego but maybe 75%, but still I wouldn't pay those (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I agree with your points. The set is likely to be fake, and it prolly is (I don't want to accuse anybody, but the facts are not on the seller's side here, unless he/she would like to come out and say something we haven't noticed... not likely (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Believe it or not, boxes may vary significantly from one area to another. For example, I have two 6080s, one from Canada and one from the US. Here's a brief list of differences: The US 6080: -Box is more "orangey-yellow" in colour -Says "664 (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Shifty Pics (Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay)

Here's some pics of Shifty boxes: (URL) a link from the construction clones page (URL) copies of lego boxes! i'm no expert but i'm inclined to believe that this dalu set is another rip-off clone. getting that photography so close to classic lego (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) Has anyone emailed the winner and asked them to enlighten us when they receive the set? After all the controversy, it would seem like a good idea! I'm curious if the winner thinks they bought a true lego set or not. I still don't believe the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) ... and the winner is ... amf70! In the past 4 years I haven't seen anyone outbid this guy. If it's rare and it's something he wants, he will get it. No matter what the price. (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) That's Abner all right. Even *I* don't go up against him (much). He has some amazing stuff(1), some of which I have been privileged enough to see. Thanks, Abner... Note the timings, he's got sniping down to a science. That other sniper, (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) But, the question is.... Does he read/post on Lugnet? RTL? (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

As a seller, I really like Abner ;-) As a competing buyer, its futile. My feeling about this set, is that its a knock-off, like Mega Blocks or Tyco. Although not many people are interested in old Mega Blocks Castles, they aren't exactly easy to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I know he used to post on RTL back in 1995 or so - I recognize the email address. He posted with the pseudonym "Ace Maze," I think. -- jthompson@esker.com "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily" (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) I don't know if it is appropriate to dig through someone's posts but in case you want to read them, try using dejanews: (URL) can also read his one and only post here on lugnet by typing in his name in the search box on the main page :-) (24 years ago, 11-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

John, can you email Abner and find out about this Daluland stuff. I think that a lot of us are still wondering about this stuff and if there is any authentic Lego in this lot. Thanks Kevin Salm (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay

(...) More of a lurker, I guess. Now, if you all came to the GMLTC meetings, you'd get to see some of this stuff, that's what I am saying. :-) C'mon, Minneapolis in the winter isn't THAT cold and windy. What are you saving those airline miles for, (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jan-00, to lugnet.castle)