 Castle / 1439
Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Thompson writes:
Interesting theory.

However,

1.  It seems like a lot of work for someone to kludge up
a new image to paste on the cover of an existing box.  What
some people won't do for money .... but it seems like too
much work to me.

More tellingly,

2.  The castle wall corners appear to be round (look in the bottom
picture showing the contents of the set, in the left half of
the box).  It looks awfully round to me, and therefore wouldn't
be a genuine LEGO element.

My guess - it's a clone, and the person is legitimately describing
the pieces when he says that there are no logos on the studs.

I don't see how any of the pieces can be anything but genuine Lego.  It is
really hard to tell from the photos if the corner wall segements are rounded or
not but I don't think that they are.  If you look at the assembled pieces at
the top where they meet the plate above them, the joint looks just it should.
If I took a fuzzy photograph of my own Castle wall corners I bet that they
would look rounded, too, especially the plain Gray ones.

If some company other than Lego decided to fabricate plastic pieces identical
to Lego they would have to spend a helluva lot of money just for the equipment
and molds.  Even if the quality is only 50% of Lego, the cost involved with
exact copying of Lego elements would be excessively prohibitive.  And no matter
how shady or devious another company might be, why would they attempt to market
thier clones in packaging that is clearly "identical" to Lego packaging.

As I understand the trademark system to operate, anyone can produce pieces
identical to Lego and even sell them in arrangements (sets) identical to Lego
but the Dalu and Daluland logos are clearly overstepping the Lego image
trademark.

I have to stick to my theory that some individual has dummied up the box and
created this Daluland stuff--perhaps for fun and amusement to see how many
suckers will bid on this!!

I have thought up another angle on the seller.  Other items for auction on Ebay
by this seller are either Civil War items or automobiles.  The Lego doesn't
seem to fit in the scheme of things.  Any why are there no other items from
Suadi Arabia like Desert Shield/Desert Storm collectibles?  I wonder if this
seller has some connection to a pawn shop?  This is where the Lego set may have
turned up.  Or not.  All I know is that I do not trust the seller here.

This point of yours ("The most valuable pieces from set 6074 are not present
in this auction offering.  Likely harvested out; other pieces added to
compensate and make a more "complete" castle.") is fairly compelling
to my suspicious mind, though.

I think that this is key to the whole thing.  Someone wanted the best pieces
but decided to try and sell a "complete" Castle set anyway.

Kevin Salm