 Castle / 1268
Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:45:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
I found an interesting castle set from saudi-arabia on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=227975305
It looks like a variation on the Black Falcon Fortress.  Any insights from
the more knowledgeable folks here?  I noticed that it was numbered 708.
I'm thinking rip-off more and more - take another look at the Black Falcon
Fortress, you will see a number of differences:

Yes, DEFINITELY not Black Falcon's Fortress... that much is obvious... three
horses, white figs?, no castle corners with printing, no black spire w/
printed flag, etc, etc... But there is a lot to suggest it IS Lego... after
all, if you were a knock-off, you'd want to save as much money as possible...
so why try and copy EXACTLY the same emblems, EXACTLY the same logo, a NEARLY
exact design to 6074, even the flip-top lid... AND add to that the fact that
the box is divided under the lid into two sections (left and right, tall and
thin) JUST like Black Falcon's Fortress... But at the same time, there are
too many things WRONG to make me think it's a bona fide TLC product... VERY
odd...

Well, most of those similarities aren't just to BFF, but to all (large)
Legoland Castle sets, so it may be a style knock-off rather than 1 specific
set.
I'm also curious as to how old this is - it may be just my read, but the
auction listing sounds like it was a recent acquisition.

Regardless, it qualifies as way weird.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/