 Castle / 1445
Re: Interesting Castle on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kevin Salm writes:

As I understand the trademark system to operate, anyone can produce pieces
identical to Lego and even sell them in arrangements (sets) identical to Lego
but the Dalu and Daluland logos are clearly overstepping the Lego image
trademark.

Well, that's assuming that the trademark/copyright system is enforced
everywhere. There are doubtlessly some countries where there aren't such laws
(for example the game Starcraft's CD's were copied and re-sold by another
company in another country (Indonesia I think? Somewhere out there..) and
there was no law against it, since whatever country it was didn't recognize
Blizzard's copyright to the software) It could be that back in the mid-late
80's in Saudi Arabia, there weren't any recognized copyright/patent laws
governing Lego, and so it was easy to come in and make a clone...

Most likely Taiwan.  I know they do not support International Copyright Law.  I
have some CDs I purchased before I knew of this that are rip-offs.  They were
made by a company called Son May, which copies Anime and Video Game Soundtracks
and markets them.  I believe Video copying is big business there, too.

Jeff