 Castle / 103
Re: Good vs. Evil
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:32:02 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Hm...this is interesting to me.  I don't really have as much 'good' and 'evil'
as might be expected...instead, my Castle-time LEGOs seem to have set up a
rather complex political situation.

I tend to have two stories-- one for TLG's sets, and one for my own land. The
TLG story is more focused around one kingdom, in nearly constant dispute (save
1979?-1983 when it was only the yellow castle... no teams... calm... peace),
where once thriving forces (the black knights, lionhearts, black falcons, etc.)
have been decimated and destroyed never to return.  My own storyline has all
the forces all at once... no force (of the castle themes) has been wiped out...

The single kingdom story sounds similar to your own... The 'golden age' (yellow
castle) to the dark ages (lionheart vs. black falcons vs. black knights) to
'present day' with fright knights, royal knights, etc...

Read on, should ye be curious:

The golden age (1979?-1983 sets) existed when the land was young. The dynasty
that ruled had united the feuding warlords of the chaos that reigned before and
had risen as the respected, unrivaled kingdom. The king ruled over all the
lands, which were divided among 5 of his vassals.  Each of his vassals held a
plume of a particular color... red, white, yellow, blue, and black. The bearer
of the black plume was in later years to be christened "The Black Falcon"...

When the king died, a brief chaos insued. The king had had a son, but had sent
him off to study under the teachings of learned men far and away.  The king's
son was nowhere to be found... As word howled across the land that the king had
died, and no heir was present, the people feared the return of chaos. There
were those that decided to storm the castle and raid it for supplies so that
they might survive the new chaotic reign. They rioted at the castle's gates,
stormed inside, and began looting the castle. In the end, the castle was
abandoned... burned, torn apart, and left in ruin.

As the people subsided, the 5 lords rose to take control of the land. At first,
the Black Falcon ('Lord Falcon' at the time) proposed that one of them (himself
to be more specific) be placed in the stead of the king.  But the other lords
knew better. They knew that only the promise of the true king's return would
quiet the people.  Hence, they constructed a new castle, and named it "King's
Castle" such that in the event of the heir's return, he might return to a new
castle to call his home.  The five lords were to keep their residence at King's
Castle, until such time as the heir resurfaced; but Lord Falcon protested. He
said that he needed to oversee his own lands personally... he claimed that a
group of bandits had been marauding his lands and that they ought to build a
castle there for protection of the people. The 4 other lords (the knights of
#6080) saw no reason not to, and built what was then known as Knight's Castle.

(Hence we have arrived at the 1984 castle line) Lord Falcon now had what he
needed to start a campaign for the throne. But not a successful one. He bided
his time, constantly asking for more troops to serve him, more weapons against
the "bandits" and mostly, more money. But it was by chance that he found his
sword. He was happening by an armor shop (gee, what set is this, I wonder?)
when he saw a black broadsword. The owner said that the sword was sold to him
by 'good' bandits who had stolen this enchanted from an evil pagan warlord. The
story was enough for the Falcon.. an enchanted black sword was enough if only
in spirit to inspire men to fear him.  And hence the war for the throne began.

Unfortunately for the Black Falcon, his troops were loosing. He had promised a
united rule under his hand, but it was proving worse. His own lands were being
starved for the war effort, and the land was divided. In what was to be the
deciding battle, the four lord's armies stormed Knight's castle, tearing it to
pieces. The Black Falcon escaped, though, as did the majority of his men. To
their advantage, Knight's castle was not fully destroyed. The gateway was torn
down, but little else was affected. Hence, it was rebuilt, only backwards, with
the gate on the rear face of the castle, between the two towers. Also, a small
addition to the rear wall was added for the Black Falcon's own luxury. The
re-vamped castle was known as Black Falcon's Fortress.

Anyway, I just realized I've spent quite some time writing this, and I'm not
even to 1987 yet; and I have to get up to 1998. At any rate, you get the
jist... The black knights appear (they burn King's Castle (it turns black) and
becomes Black Monarch's Castle), the four lords become the 'crusaders' as they
battle in their 'crusade' to unite the lands rightfully again... the wolfpack
and forestmen arrive as theives and mercinaries... The dragon masters come in
and wreak havoc on the land (as well as themselves!) at which point shortly
thereafter, the rightful heir returns (surprise surprise!) and we have the
emergence of the 'Royal Knights'... then we've got the witch seducing a
powerful warlord (the Bat Lord) and helping him rise to power, etc., etc....
Maybe someday I'll write it ALL down...

Oddly enough, I find that many of the major characters I think about are
actually MOCs of a sort - I'll swap a head or something to create a unique
fig.  Most of my Wolfpack is unique...the exiled baron who leads the Dark
Forest bandits...the Witch-Queen...does anybody else tend to do this, or do
people stick with the existing cast of characters?

I used to swap body parts around a LOT.... I don't do it as much any more...
I've rebuilt all my armies exactly as they were 'intended'... makes for a lot
more diversity among the troops than I'd have in the old stuff (black falcons,
crusaders, etc), but little diversity in present sets... like fright knights,
of which there are only 5 distinct characters, etc.. I'll probably start
re-doing them at some point to MOCs since I like my minifig desing better than
theirs (who doesn't?)... probably when I build my lego kingdom (possibly my
next project after I finish the my AT-AT, and dismantle it)

Laterz,
DaveE