 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 2285
Re: Understanding the Datsville Coordinates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 13:10:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Michael Heidemann wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Tore Eriksson wrote:
After almost 11 years of dealing with Datsville, I still find the coordinate
system confusing. This picture may help to understand a little.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simlego/4632796641/in/set-72157623509491211/
The yellow line is the z axis at x=0. The white represents the x axis at z=0.
The further upper left, the lower the x value. Pink line is x axis at z=1280, ie
two baseplates away. The harderst part to me to get into my head is that the x
value decreases while getting further away at the top left, while z increases
while getting further away at the top right.

Thats normal behavior in each coordinate system. My problem is more the y axis
in LDraw that it decreases if it is higher!

But thanks for that information. I am sure it will help in some cases.

cu
mikeheide

Thanks for the response. I know you're right; it's normal behaviour for
coordinate systems. But I guess I'm not normal. :)

For some reason, I have no problems with the y axis, despite it goes the wrong
way. Probably because you always know what's up and down but not always what's
north, south, east, or west. That applies even to the real world. Or x+, x-, z+,
or z- in Datsville. After the model has been rotated around the y axis (the only
normal rotation for a town model), I still know what's up and down in it but
gets even more lost about x and z directions.

Btw, I am thinking about the fact that Datsville can in fact also be divided
into baseplates of 32x32 studs. It may probably be more helpful when you try to
find your way in Datsville (but at the same time, maybe adds even more
confusion?). The x and z coordinates of all baseplates are multiples of 640.
Divide them by 640 and we get comprehensive numbers we may use in some way. What
if we create a system for labelling all baseplate positions after those numbers?
Unfortunately, there are negative numbers so I don't know the best way to deal
with that, and to deal in a future safe way when Datsville hopefully expands in
all directions. Any suggestions on this?

/Tore