 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 2240
Datsville: To Box Or Not To Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:32:49 GMT

A new revision (rev020) of my unofficial Datsville is at:
http://cid-7183b586c107b55b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Datsville

To box or not to box... I'm inclined to replace all parts where both studs and
bottom tubes are completely hidden with box replacement files. That's in order
to save processor power. Datsville is a *huge* model and few renderers can cope
with such an amount of polygons. Being very sonservative about what parts can be
replaced, nobody should be able to tell the difference as long as no model is
taken apart. A utility that removes all b\ references in a specified file or all
files in an intire folder would be a piece of cake to cook up. Any thoughts? (I
know, it is my project and I can do as I please with it, but I'd still like
input.)

I have also thought of subfolder it, but decided not to - at least not at this
point.

Note: This should not be seen as any kind of competition against Michael
Horvath's efforts! He just happened to trigger me to start working on my project
again.

/Tore