 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 2307
2306  |  2308
Subject:
Datsville Unoff_v1_0_0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Michael Horvath wrote:

I have some time on hand that I plan to spend on Datsville. Mainly some
organizational things and a few tweaks. I will use your revision as a basis.

I think it would be cool to solicit submissions from users of LDD as well as
LDraw, for instance from users of the Eurobricks discussion forums. I'll post a
message there once I'm done.

Mike

That's really great news, Mike! I like all your ideas and I give you quite free
hands. And if there isn't anything I absolutely can't accept, I'll include your
changes in "my" future unofficial versions of Datsville.

/Tore

Here is an image of the changes:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/LDraw/datsville_map_legend.jpg

Here are the changed files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u2vo5kocc32k2nr

I reorganized all the models so that they are labeled consecutively, and appear
in consecutively numbered blocks (block_001, block_002, etc.). The city streets
and traffic now also appear in their own "layers". I find this to be a bit more
manageable. Lastly, I had to move a few buildings in order to extend the
streets, and I tentatively added two parking garages in case Datsville gets
bigger. These last two can be removed if need be.

Hmm, I'm aware that I said I'll give you quite free hands, but well...

First, the order of those blocks are a little strange to me:
20,19,18
14,15,16,17
13,4,3,1,2
12,5,6,7,8
9,10,11
(and building #45 does not even belong to any block?)
I can't find any logic behind that numbering, and as Datsville hopefully grows,
it will become even more inconsistent. I've never really liked "town00",
"town-21", but at least there was a clear logic behind that naming.

Second, you have made an (almost) irreversable Boxer simplification, removing as
good as every existing stud. That could have been made in almost every viewer as
well as L3P instead of altering the models.

Third, even if I realise I can't cling to the 8.3 format forever, long filenames
make my MoveTo utility useless. That would probably be no problem, there must be
plenty of better programs available to do the same job. But there has to be
something to gain when you do all the work to rename the models. IMO,
"building_003" tells a lot less than "bjgchur" B for building, JG for Joseph
Gonzalez, and max five more chars for a description. In this case, chur for
Church. I guess it's time to leave the 8.3 boundaries, even though I will miss
the safety within it. But when break free from it, I think it would be a good
idea that the filename of the models includes which parent block it belongs to.
So, for example, if we keep the name Block019, the shopping center will not be
Building_036 but rather Building_019A and the train station Building_019B
instead of Building_037.

Forth, where is the Radio club house behind the Police station? I had great
plans for it to have a central role in a mysterious adventure taking place in
Datsville.

Fifth, there where some files missing
vehicle010.ldr
block_009.ldr
infrastructure_.ldr
m6643.ldr
m6666.ldr

I really like most of the reorganisation of the buildings, they make good sense.
But in all, the renaming is IMHO a step down instead of an improvement. And the
simplification is too heavy an can't be undone (which would have been possible
if I had developed LDSwitch and LDBoxer as I once planned, so I take some
responsability for that...) So, I am very, very sad to say I can't currently
jump off my project and join yours for now being.

/Tore