 CAD / 11623
Re: Quick way to mirror-image a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Carl Nelson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
Under Steve's scheme the exception matrix for 3045.dat would be
created by multiplying a mirror matrix by a rotate 90 matrix.  This
would create a part that looks identical, but is in fact mirrored. So
I don't think you need more than one exception matrix per part.  Look
at this.  The second part looks similar, but is actually mirrored.
That's the exception matrix for MIRROR.INI (except for the -32 Z
offset).

1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3045.dat
1 1 0 -32 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 3045.dat

Here's Steve's method using homogeneous 4x4 matrices (because they
make the math pretty):

  Default = MD = (-1, 0, 0, 0,   0, 1, 0, 0,    0, 0, 1, 0,    0, 0, 0, 1)
  Exception = ME = (a, d, g, 0,   b, e, h, 0,    c, f, i, 0,    x, y, z, 1)

    For a typical (left right symmetric) part ME = MD

  Current = MC = (A, D, G, 0,   B, E, H, 0,    C, F, I, 0,    X, Y, Z, 1)
  Mirror across an arbitrary plane = MP = (...)
    see http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2151/matrices.html
    (or use a simple mirror across the xy, yz, or xz plane).

  For each part, calculate MF (final matrix) where:
  Mirrored (with no mirrored parts) = MF = MP * MC * ME

Steve, Don--thanks for the explanations; this now makes complete sense
to me (finally!).

For a reflection about the plane containing the Z & Y axes
(left-to-right), the reflection matrix (Mp) should be:

-1 0  0
0  1  0
0  0  1

Then Mp * (part-file rotation matrix from LDraw file) * Mp works for
most parts.

Substitute the second Mp for the exception matrix for the exception
parts.  The exception matrix needs to rotate to proper orientation
and unmirror the part--for 2357 (brick 2 x 2 corner), the rotation
matrix is:

0  0 -1
0  1  0
1  0  0

To unmirror, the C element should be -1.

Err, I'm not sure what you mean by unmirror.  I got
(0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0   0 0 0) for a mirror.ini exception matrix, which
looks yours except for the sign of that one number.

Works like a charm so far, and I haven't found any parts that
aren't solvable by a single exception matrix yet.

Me neither.

Anybody see a problem with the algorithm to generate the
rotation matrix setting
A = -A and C = -C every time?  One should always be 0, right?

Unless the text parsing code is already written.  Then it's the same.
I put the MLCAD.INI (minifig configurator) file parsing in CVS on the
sourceforge, and the proposed MIRROR.INI file uses the same format.
However if you want to convert to and from XML, that's ok with me.

OK, I haven't done anything else about the config file, but I'll
stick with text if everyone thinks that's a better idea.

Sounds like it could work.

Now I just have to program it! ;-)
I better get busy coding...

And generating the MIRROR.INI file.  I did some corner parts, some
triangular wings, some minifig arms and legs, and some technic liftarms.
I also created a tiny C program to parse MIRROR.INI and use it to mirror
a file across the ZY plane.  It seems to work so far.  The source, ini,
and a windows command line executable is here:

  http://ldglite.sf.net/mirwin.zip

If anyone wants to update MIRROR.INI for all 2500 parts, that'd be
fantastic.

Enjoy,

Don