 CAD / 11584
Re: Quick way to mirror-image a model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:21:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler wrote:
For simple mirroring of the parts from left-to-right.  This only works for parts
oriented along the X, Y, and Z axes.  If parts are rotated at odd angles (like
30 degrees, or whatever), then this won't quite work, but it should get you
started.
(snip)

Thanks for the responses--they were very helpful.  I found the disadvantage to
Don's rotation matrix method to be that when it's used the mouse commands in
MLCad are reversed, i.e., dragging the part left moves it right--but it sure
worked great for a quick way to show the assembled model correctly.

Dave, I tried your method in Excel and it appears to work with some caveats,
though I don't really understand the column mappings:

For left-to-right, you said to use columns D and G--that's corresponding to the
Y position and the B rotation parameter.  Shouldn't that be the X position and C
parameter?

Parts such as slopes & 2 x 2 corners aren't in their correct orientation--any
tips on how to get those right?

(Actually, is there a tutorial on the rotation matrix anywhere?  That might
answer all my questions in one.)

Thanks!
Carl