 Administrative / Suggestions / 1504
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 06:43:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, Rene.

I put together a mock-up image of my suggestions for tweaks to the new LUGNET front page. I am using index-test-2 as a basis since I prefer the overall look of that draft to any of the ones since then. (Not that the latest draft is not good, but I prefer the colors and look of the columns in index-test-2.) Here’s what I came up with:

Click image for the full-size view.

Starting in the upper left corner, I kept the LUGNET logo as large as it was in index-test-2, but centered it over the left column and avoided using the box around it at all.

I tried moving the Welcome message to the very top of the middle of the page. I am not so sure we’ve come up with the best actual Welcome message yet (I am not even sure what “services” refers to here; and we’ll need to settle on whether we’re calling them discussion groups or forums--I prefer discussion groups, but maybe I’m old school). But I think what would be best is something succinct, giving people a quick and friendly description of what LUGNET is all about.

I also tried putting the large icon links directly below that, in effect swapping positions with the Welcome message. I also tried adding a “Join/Login” icon link centered above the right column of the page. This was inspired by the same yellow key / gray key icon that displays on most LUGNET pages depending on whether or not you are currently logged in. The change here would be to have this link to a single page where you could login if you are already a LUGNET member or find out how to become a member (or just get posting privileges) if you are not.

In the top right corner, I’ve managed to squeeze in a search field with the icon. I could see perhaps sacrificing the icon for space reasons. And I wasn’t able to fit in an “Advance search” link (though I suppose the icon could function as that very link with a tooltip explaining it).

On the left column, I’ve put the Top Stories as it is in the latest draft (index-test-5). Personally, I’m not so concerned with what goes beneath that on the left column. As I mentioned before, I always did like the links to popular newsgroups, but I don’t have a strong feeling about this.

At the top of the right column, again I’m following the latest draft, just trying to keep the look and feel of index-test-2.

In the middle column I’ve tried adding a small headline letting the visitor know what sort of content follows by putting “We bring to your attention...” That sounds a little corny, so I would certainly like to hear other people’s suggestions. As I mentioned before, I really liked the look of the dark blue text over the very, very light blue background of the middle column in index-test-2, so I’ve kept that. But I did move the posting date in parentheses to the very end of each blurb, just after the standardized “Read more...” link.

By the way, please ignore the actual text in these middle column blurbs. I just did a bunch of copy-and-pastes to fill in the space to make it look appropriate, so the text itself is mix-and-match gibberish. :)

I think that covers all the changes I made. I’d be interested in people’s comments on those changes, or to hear what people like better about index-test-5 (or one of its color variants) than this mock-up.

-Brendan

P.S. Is there a way for the parent post for each new draft Rene creates to be automatically given enough highlight/spotlights to ensure it stays on the front page’s Top Stories for a few days? I think this overhaul of the LUGNET front page is pretty monumental news, and yet I get the sense that a lot of people who might feel very strongly about it aren’t even aware of it because they don’t make a habit of reading lugnet.admin. I know I don’t, so I feel fortunate to have stumbled across it when I did!