 Administrative / Suggestions / 1498
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:58:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, John Neal wrote:
   It seems standard procedure that there needs to be a “quiet” space around any logo

I agree with John about this. If the LUGNET logo must be in a box, it should at least have more space around it. But I also still highly favor the larger, non-boxed LUGNET logo from this draft.

I really like this draft as well, because of the lack of boxes. The only problem with not having a box around it this draft is that the logo gets diluted by the colors passing behind it.

On my own somewhat related note... the actual LUGNET logo IMO is working TOO hard on the web page. I think it is too prevalent, and should be used more judiciously. For instance, it shouldn’t be used as a common bullet IMO. It has more impact when it appears less often, say as when it appears before your name, René.

We talk a lot about brand dilution WRT the word “LEGO”, but we should be protective of the LUGNET logo as well. One cardinal sin when using corporate logos is integrating them into text because it dilutes the brand, which is why I think that the LUGNET logo should be removed from the word “LUGMAPS”.

Also, I think it’s nice to have the LUGNET logo a hyperlink to a page that talks about the logo itself.

   On an only somewhat related note... the LUGNET logo is comprised of three interlocked L’s, which I always assumed stand for LUGNET, but the way the logo is positioned, the L’s are backward. Anybody know why they didn’t flip the logo around so the L’s are forward? Or are they not supposed to be L’s? Guess this could really only be answered by Todd and Suz.

Interesting, Brendan. I never thought of those as Ls. Here is a little logo study for you to help make your point:

Click for larger image

Verrry eenteresting. I’m not sure how kosher it is to be talking about manipulating the LUGNET logo, but FWIW, I like the one with the red L standing up straight.

JOHN