 Announcements / 3369

Subject:
New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:26:29 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

Reference:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3358

and:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=11314
http://news.lugnet.com/org/wishlist

Thanks to all who were responding to the previous draft, here is another one:

http://www.lugnet.com/index-test-4.php

A few comments:

Ted Michon wrote:
   I notice that if I have already visited a top 10 item that it’s compacted and expands when I fly the mouse over it. This is more disconcerting than useful, at least at first.

   Obviously it was too hectic on the screen, so I changed it into a “tool-tip”-like preview box. I hope it’s more comfortable to anyone’s eyes.

Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   the icons seem oversize in comparison to the other graphic elements on the page, and they seem a bit too cartoony.

Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
   The icons on the top are IMHO somewhat “childish”

   The items are still “cartoony”, but smaller. Please see them as placeholders, I’m also not really happy with them. Do we have an artist amongst us who could draw a few sketches? Suz? Mike? Greg? That would be great!

Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   The Helpful links are very good too, although it might be a nice idea to rotate some of the links randomly, or on a schedule - both to keep other content owners happy and avoid charges of favoritism, as well as provide fresh content for new and experienced users.

   That’s a great idea! I haven’t implemented it yet, but put it on the suggestion list.

Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   The white space gutters between the three columns seem a little wide. Maybe I’m just used to more condensed layouts, but like the header space, seems like it could be tightened up a little.

   I guess the new draft uses better ratios.

Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   Will the non-newsgroup content be updated automatically or by hand? Just curious.

   The content in the middle section is created by hand. Despite of all the possibilities to create content automatically, I prefer editorial news for frontpages.

Roy Gal wrote:
   At least on my small laptop screen I can’t see the top stories, which is what I visit for most often, so anything to move that up would be good

   Good point. Now that I moved the Top Stories to the upper left sidebar, they should appear even on smaller screens

Roy Gal wrote:
   Another option, though it might be very ‘busy’, is to split the center section into two columns, one with the Welcome and Upcoming Events, and one with the Top Stories.

Chris Phillips wrote:
   I also find the float-over text changes to be disconcerting. I would vote for a more static page layout, FWIW.

   This would look weird on smaller screen solutions, like 800x600 or lower. The default Stylesheet should keep the site layout as simple as possible. Specific alternative Stylesheets could use other segmentations but probably those would be static and would require 1024x768 or higher.

Nathan Todd wrote:
   The brickshelf feed might need some sort of filter, not all MOCs uploaded are of a great standard and new visitors might get the wrong impression if they see an AFOL site and then a lump of multi-coloured bricks or random bionicle creation...

   Probably a justified argument. I already have a few ideas, but I have to play around with what I’m able to do in that direction. Added to the suggestion list.

Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   I really like the Latest MOC feature (and the roll-over help on “MOC” is neat, too), but it looks like it’s done manually. I’m concerned that it might become too much to keep up with and get out of date. Is there any way to automate that feature?

   This feature was already automated, but I have rewritten the code piece again, so now it should generate pictures even from FTX-picture-links. I have to add a rule for plain links to pictures (just forgot it) and maybe I try to let it generate pictures out of external links too (later).

Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   the nice thing about the current home page is its simplicity. there is no need for bells and whisles. shop.lego.com found this out the hard way. learn from there mistakes and don’t muck up the page with crap that slows down load times and creates havok for anyone who is still on dial up. yea that’s me.

   You’re completely right with the amount of data and I took it seriously. So I banned even the small generation of the random BS gallery from the frontpage code. Now you actually get a static page to your web browser, all dynamic content is created and updated every 15 minutes (currently) in the background. I’m proud to let you know, that the new version has even less data to transfer than the current page:

   current: 63kB http://webtool.1und1.de/cgi-bin/loadcheck.cgi?domain=http%3A//www.lugnet.com&timeout=10

   new: 49kB (depends on actual dynamic content) http://webtool.1und1.de/cgi-bin/loadcheck.cgi?domain=http%3A//www.lugnet.com/index-test-4.php&timeout=10

Chris Phillips wrote:
   I think the font sizes could be scaled down and the excess space tightened up a bit. I’m guessing that the larger font is for the benefit of those with vision problems?

   The size was set to “normal”, I changed it to “small” in the CSS file. People with vision problems will increase font sizes to their needs anyway. BTW: That’s a reason for having a floating-text-layout.

Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
   I’d like to see the overall look a bit sharper and more angular... to better communicate the medium LEGO, which key features are it’s strong geometry and bright (primary!) colours.

   The first draft with the round corners was a <div>-soup anyway :-)

John Barnes wrote:
   My only request is that what used to be “Index” - “Top View” be retained. I am always interested in everything that gets posted, not just some specific groups.

   Maybe I don’t understand it correctly, but isn’t “Index”-“Top View” (in the current “Newsgroup Shortcuts” area) the same as http://news.lugnet.com/, respectively the current “Newsgroups” link?

Erik Amzallag wrote:
   the page is not xhtml valid : there is a <div> and a <p> problem. The ‘legend’ element should be used into a ‘fieldset’ element. (snip) all the ‘a’ elements have to have got a ‘title’ attribute (snip) Add more “Back to top of page” links (which can be hidden in css).

   Thanks for pointing this out. Should be corrected now.

Erik Amzallag wrote:
   the ‘a’ element for top stories are too long. Only the title would be sufficient

   Ja, I know. But it’s necessary to provide IE6 and lower with the preview box (:hover works with <a> only in IE6 and lower). Since it isn’t a “barrier”, I decided to leave it as it is. The alternative would be to exclude IE users from the Top Stories preview.

Erik Amzallag wrote (snipped):
   the list ‘helpful links’ is not semanticly correct. You mix questions and answers.

Erik Amzallag wrote:
   you can add accesskey attributes which improve the navigation

   Sorry, but I’m an enemy of accesskeys in webpages. People who are using them or even have to use some, probably have their own presettings and chances are way too high that accesskeys of a website interfere with the user’s settings.

Erik Amzallag wrote:
   What about a print stylesheet ? :)

   That’s a good idea and shouldn’t be that hard too do. Maybe someone is interested in creating such a stylesheet? I even think of a CSS contest, once the main structure for the improved site is wrapped up, I have a few LEGO sets which feel bored in my shelves as prices :-)

Sean Kenney wrote:
   Lots of cool and interesting things... http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=1471

   Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review. Without to become too specific here: I tried to bear in mind as much as possible from your ideas and thoughts. I hope you will notice all the little and bigger changes I made on the basis of your text :-)

http://www.lugnet.com/index-test-4.php

PLMKWYT

Leg Godt!
Rene