 Administrative / Suggestions / 1478
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   I find Draft #1 to be easier on the eyes than Draft #2.

Ja, me too, but obviously eye friendly distances are threatened with extinction :-)

   it’s unclear to the visitor what sort of content is being presented here middle column. They way each story is boxed and dated makes it look like these are dynamically generated Top Stories (or something like that). Perhaps what is needed here is a section heading for this middle column.

You’re right. Maybe “Editorial News”?

   In Draft #2 it also looks a little weird to have the top border of the first middle column box higher than the border at the top of the left and right columns. I liked the look of Draft #1 much more in this regard.

There’s something wrong with my CSS, but I wasn’t able to figure it out. The next draft will be without borders in the middle column, so probably this will be fixed by itself.

   That upper right corner is already a bit empty, so what I suggest is that we clear enough room to put the Search LUGNET thing there.

To be honest, I haven’t found a way to position the whole fieldset there (please note, that the HTML doesn’t use tables for creating the layout). I will see what I can do, probably it will leads to a few more HTML containers to seperate the icons from the search fieldset up there...

   I agree with DaveE that it’s never been all that clear what the difference is between “Register for free” and “Become a member”. It might be good to just have one prominent link on the front page that covers both of these

Ja, that should be done. But I have to build the page beyond such a link first. Will do this in the near future.

   OK, that’s all my comments for now. I know it most be maddening trying to please so many different people. Your efforts are greatly appreciated though!

Thanks, Brendan!

Leg Godt!
René