 Administrative / Suggestions / 1474
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:23:11 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   http://www.lugnet.com/index-test-4.php

Mostly looks good in terms of the layout and features. But a few comments:

Designy comments first:

1) I’m not sure I understand why you wanted to change the colors of the logo and the background? Personally, I find the new colors a little too bright. Lugnet always looked more like a professional site because it’s got muted background colors.

2) Note on the 16x16 logo graphic-- I kinda like the old one better since the distinction between “blocks” is visible. Comparison here:

3) I guess the other larger logo is also changed too? It seems... somehow wrong. I guess it looks to me like someone did a quick photoshop job by selecting a color range and then replacing with new colors. Several spots are kind of pixelated, and the lines aren’t very well antialised and crisp.

4) I agree with the previous comment about the icons-- Again, I think the colors are a bit bright, and are a little too cartoony (but not “icon-y” enough). Not sure how best to describe that...

5) Again, the borders and fonts are really loud, making it look a little kiddish. I’d be in favor of muting/removing/sizing down some of those borders that are around the center stories, and maybe even the right-hand side. Actually, on that note, it should also be a bit more consistant with them-- It’s got a black border dividing some of the blue/cyan/white areas, and in other places it doesn’t.

6) The “Read the official annoucement” or whatnot is a little large, font-wise. Kind of draws attention away from the rest of the content. I’d opt for way smaller, and probably less text. Something simple like “Read more ...”

7) The search box dropdown looks a little non-fluid. I’d definitely recommend changing the css settings on the select box to be a little more standard.

Content Comments:

8) I love the links on the side. It annoys me at times when certain sites don’t cooperate with others (like Lugnet guide has no links to Brickset’s guide, and Peeron has no links to BrickLink’s inventory). Very handy. I might change the order a bit, however. I’d recommend:

• LEGO.com (because yes!)
• LUGNET Guide (because LUGNET links should get a boost)
• BrickShelf (seems to be most fan’s #1 browsing spot)
• BrickLink (another big browsing spot)
• LDraw
• Peeron (I’d rather see Peeron show up before PICSL)
• MOCPages
• PICSL
• Legofan.org
• 1000steine.de (not to push 1000steine to the bottom, but for people going to Lugnet, they’re probably not overly likely to buzz over to a German site with high frequency)

9) I never really agreed with putting the new member names on the homepage. Seems kind of spammy or something. Just a thought tho.

10) Is the content in the “Latest MOC” and “Random Gallery” going to be dynamic? Assuming it’s based on the posts to announce.moc? If so, is it capable of automatically fishing out the relevant image and scaling it appropriately? Plus, definitely a good idea to have an administrative tool ready to veto MOCs from showing up on the homepage.

11) I think I’d change the text on “Register for Free”, and just say something like “Sign up” or “Register”. Should figure out the best terminology for members and news setup-- I know it used to be VERY confusing for people what the difference was between “membership” and “posting setup”.

Nitty comments:

12) Typo: need a space between “Top” and “Stories” in the Top Stories sidebar area.

Hm. I could probably keep finding more-- however they’re mostly little comments rather than general critiques. I think for the most part the design looks pretty good. Just needs lots of tweaking :)

DaveE