 Administrative / Suggestions / 1492
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 03:39:17 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   Hi all,

Reference:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3358

and:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=11314
http://news.lugnet.com/org/wishlist

Thanks to all who were responding to the previous draft, here is another one:

http://www.lugnet.com/index-test-4.php

renders good in my browser. Looks good on screen.

A few comments, which I hope are constructive:

“Brickworld 2007(1 Dec 2006) BrickJournal” I mention this only because a lot of the center announcements are for events. This makes it look like brickworld occors 1 Dec 2006. I’d change this to “Brickworld 2007(posted 1 Dec 2006) BrickJournal”

Like the idea of most recent moc announcement. I’m not as excited by the idea of random brickfest folder. (brickfest already has a way of seeing something similar).

Love the top-level helpful links. I’d make sure that the explanations beneath the links are accessibile to a non-AFOL. The text above the link is easily mistaken for text below the link. This could be fixed by a small vertical separation between link-text pairs.

The newsgroups links are difficult to understand: “Register for Free” “Guidance” I’d suggest using the tooltip text instead, which isn’t much longer, but is much easier to understand “Register to get posting priveledges” and “information about the newsgroup system”.

The search box is confusing. The edit box where one would type a search term looks almost exactly the same as the static text above. Either they should look different, or the search box should clear when the cursor is placed in the box. I do like the idea of moving the search box to the upper right corner of the page.

The lugnet logo isn’t a link. Since it isn’t a link I don’t think that the Lugnet logo requires a tooltip. If it adds more information like the trademark information or artist name that would make it all okay.

Love having the lugnet map on the front page.

Should be consistent whether topstories is one word or two. “Top Stories” at top of box, “Topstories” at bottom of box.

-dw