 Town / 10137
Re: TLG wants your input on the CITY line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:14:57 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Scott Wardlaw wrote:
My second recommendation is my personal favorite:

John Deere Tractors
Further to this, how about Caterpillar construction equipment. Even if
people dont necessarily recognize the Caterpillar brand name, they will
most likely recognize Caterpillar dump trucks, backhoes, excavators, front
end loaders, bulldozers etc.

Although I dont know how possible this is, didnt Mega Bloks have some
duplo-esque Caterpillar sets a while back?

Well,

the issue may be that there must be something in it for all parties. If LEGO
went ahead and produced sets with certain brand names (like they did a long time
back with Shell, Philips, Volkswagen to just name a few - or Maersk to be a bit
more recent) they would inadvertently do some sort of advertising for the brand
name holders. If you do advertising, you wish to get paid for it. On the other
hand, the brands might be perceived as a means to push LEGO sales, so the brand
name holders might ask for royalties.

Mix that with the fact that some brands may have been affiliated with TLG's
competition, and things start to become complicated.

In all other aspects I'm very fond of the idea to bring real-life equivalents
into LEGO town play. Using yellow as the primary color for a lot of construction
equipment should be enough to give a hint anyway (I think yellow is still the
color most associated with Caterpillar equipment).

From my perspective: Brand names? Why not? The kids will recognize the exact
same brands in every-day life anyway, so no need to come up with fantasy names
like "Octan" ;)

Just btw., I used to like the multi-national stickers for 80's (grey 12V) train
sets, and not only because it allowed to label Deutsche Bahn trains like
Deutsche Bahn...

Regards,

Jerry