 Technic / 7982
Re: Technic's Dead (was: I need Technic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:17:10 GMT

I forget who it was who said ebay is the answer. I do not belive it is.
Those models on ebay are great and I would not hesitate to buy them on ebay
if I had the money. However there is a major part missing to all these sets.
They have been done before. There are no suprises (eg I only found out about
the two pneumatics providing rotation of the crane on the air tech claw rig
mid build). We know how many of these sets work where as we did'nt before.
It was the wonder and fasination of reading the desciption of the model and
thinking "how?". How did they do that 4 wheel everything in 8880? Hoe can a
motor build up pneumatic pressure? How did all those functions work on 8480?
As a child I could not answer these questions which created a sence of awe
and exitement. Now all kids are feeling is "how can a car be pushed along
the floor?" The questions of the past have been answered. now I need new
questins like "How is that actuator powered when there is no motor there,
only pneumatic pipes? Is it powered by pneumatics? How does that new
helicopter have blades that can tilt, change pitch and rotate? I can see the
mechanism but I can't see how it works. I can't wait to build it myself so I
can find out how it works" This is what we need. A model you can stare at in
a brocure and never figure out how it works until you get it.

Just my thoughts 8^)