 Technic / 7908
Re: Technic's Dead (was: I need Technic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:57:03 GMT

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Modern Lego sets overcome that by using flex axles,
and they can bend practiclly any way.  Bu what else can you do with them?
NOTHING! Their just a horribly specialized part.

Flex axles can be used to carry compressed air in pneumatic systems, and as
cunning attachment points - see the "hook holder" on the crane cab:

http://130.159.232.158/jen/lego/ac50_1_lrg/boom_luffing_lrg.htm

For a great use of the ribbed tubing see here:

   http://www.nostarchpress.com/sato_excerpt.pdf

You can also use the ribbed tubing to make "washers" to ensure gears mesh
properly.

The new beams and other studs can be really sublime and exceptionally
addictive once you get used to them... all of a sudden these trays full of
2x4 L shaped liftarms start getting used. For making impeccably braced gear
trains, mechanisms and structures in compact spaces the new studless beams
and liftarms are generally far superior to making braced strcutures from
technic bricks and plates. I have done things with the new parts that simply
cannot be done with the old ones - and it was not for want of trying,
believe me! They are generally stronger too, although as far as I am
concerned the jury is still out on whether this will extend to large chassis
or not - I've not tried it yet, but the 8466 chassis seemed pretty robust.

As far as aesthetics go, that is in the eye of the beholder.

Jennifer