 Technic / 7888
Re: Technic's Dead (was: I need Technic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jim Hughes writes:
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but Technic as a theme is dead...

Jim, I appreciate your post, and all that you discussed. However, what are
your comments on what Brad Justus said at Brickfest: "the Technic theme is
not dead".
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=1015

It's sad to see things turn out as they have. If Lego are really doing away
with Technic, I wonder if they'll indroduce any more sets that represent, as
you said, "function over form".

TJ

TJ:

I suspect that Brad Justus/Lego defines Technic differently than you or
I do. I think that my definition is clear. It comes from playing/collecting/
building with these sets and elements for about 15 years. Lego defines
the Theme as Star Wars/Racers/Bionicle and I dont think that is going away.
So it is nice to hear Lego Direct say this but I doubt he was able to
provide any examples to back up this statement so lets see what is actually
available for purchase.

Having said that I understand why the Theme has shifted in this direction.
Lego has to respond to their market, which, in this case, is mostly boys
who grew up with Nintendo/PS2 (not to mention a Futura development team that
did the same). The action figure orientation of the theme is probably much more
appealing to them then, say, farm equiptment wouldbe.

I just saw a Spybotics set today for the first time and I like some of
the elements but the sets are closer to a Bionicle Manas then they are
to a Code Pilot Truck. It used to be that I would automatically buy a
new Technic set the first time I saw it but now I tend to pass up most
new sets, their retail offerings are just not compelling.

--Jim