 Technic / 7968
Re: Buckets of "Shame" - Near useless stuff I have too much of
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 03:48:45 GMT

I keep all my styling panels and flex axles in a container off to the side.
Parts seem to go only one way: in the bin, not out ;-)

TJ

I have to confess that I have a similar "depository" of less than useful
pieces.  I have a rather large collection of parts used to teach various
classes (robotics, machines and such).  I have trays holding "reasonable"
amounts of parts sorted by size, color and such.  Studded beams occupy two
trays, Technic plates and standard plates another 3 trays.  Now, while I
have accummulated a "ridiculous" (quoting some) amount of Lego pieces -
we're not counting the stuff my kids play with - I find that of late I end
up consigning more and more pieces to the "Have enough of those already"
bin. If TLC is so obsessed with bent beams, at least come up with a wider
variety of them.  The L beams are useful, but again, I've got a ton of them
(in both sizes). There are limits to what you can do with the styling
panels, Bent Beams and such.  Frankly, I'd LOVE to trade a bunch of new
smooth beams for the old studded variety.

It seems as if the newer "Technic" sets are full of connector pins and a
zillion small pieces that let TLC quote a high piece count, but there are
really very few "substantial" pieces to these sets. A few surprises have
proved useful of late, but the actual "weight" of plastic in new Technic
kits is pathetically low. Lots and lots of little pieces but few "big"
pieces (of ANY kind).  The 8446 4x4 has cool wheels and a few good pieces
but it's another case of lots and lots of small and limited usefulness
parts. It was worth the sale price - not the original one.  Compare this to
the prices that vintage Technic sets sell for.  Conventional Technic beams
and plates seem to be on the verge of extinction.  The level of
interchangability and compatbility of these newer lines with conventional
Lego is small and growing smaller (contrary - I thought - to stated goals of
"playability" and compatability between age specific lines).

Some of the 4th and 5th graders I teach are astounded at the older Technic
stuff - having had little exposure to it.  Yes, DACTA is a resource - though
a bit pricey - geared to educational PO's that don't question prices.  I
have bought from PITSCO and been otherwise pleased with the experience (
though they were backordered for quite a while on bulk gears (think there's
a level of demand that Lego and PITSCO just aren't understanding?).  I would
love to see Technic "Buckets" - a large selection of conventional Technic
beams, plates and such at a reasonable price.  When this concept was posted
a while back the response (from everyone but TLC) seemed enthusiastic.
Instead, TLC seems to be ignoring this market as well while K'Nex and others
are moving forward with far more "educational" products.  The local middle
school is moving in this direction (for price reasons). I wonder what the
start up costs would be to run molds for "Technic" compatible beams, gears
and wheels at affordable price points? Instead of expanding the 8, 16, 24,
40 conventional gear line, TLC has moved to the double bevel design - a
"parallel" but not quite compatible line which has only (now) three sizes.

As a sidebar, while in TRU the other day, I saw a 10 year old cruise the
Lego aisle and then go over to Megablocks.  They had "a more interesting -
and less expensive selection" - overhearing his comments to his mother.

TLC SHOULD be able to hold onto kids (some, not all) with a well thought out
Technic (and Mindstorm) line.  Instead they seem to be going all over the
map with "Throwbots"  "Roboriders" and "Bionicles."  Bionicles may be
working in one market, but its different from the traditional Lego one (and
seems to be a "fad" market that is abandoned eventually).  Those who grow
with Lego look for something like Technic (and yes, this is a limited
market, but it is there and more durable than a "fad" product market).

IMO, The biggest problem is that it takes a "critical mass" of Technic parts
to REALLY build things.  Few kids ever achieve that "critical mass" - price
has alot to do with it.  When presented with "unlimited" resources (two
dozen trays of parts, dozens of wheels in different sizes, various motors
and all the gears, pulleys, beams and plates you could want) kids have a
field day.  Again, a "mass market" for reasonably priced bulk Technic parts
would help this line IMMEASURABLY.  Instead, TLC minimizes raw material
costs (the smallest component of the mix I suspect) and churns out "new"
sets with lots and lots and lots of parts that get thrown in a bin instead
of getting used to BUILD something.