 Technic / 7900
Re: Technic's Dead (was: I need Technic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:56:02 GMT

I suspect that Brad Justus/Lego defines Technic differently than you or
I do.

I have to agree it is largely up to the definition of what Technic is today. I
have been building technic sets since the late 70's. I started building them
originally for 2 reasons. Firstly I considered myself at that time as too old to
play with regular Lego (I came to my senses later) and secondly the Technic
models alowed me to satisfy my mechanical curiosities.

Now due my changes in taste, with exception of the Car Chassis series of models,
I haven't regularly bought Technic Lego since the mid 80's. Normally, these days
I only purchase Technic lego sets as curiosities.

Lego Tecnic today is not at the core of what it was 20 years ago. For example
the car chassis models are about as complex as they can get, so they have to get
prettier.

However there is a replacement for the original idea of Lego Technic -
Mindstorms.

In my view Mindstorms of today is in exactly the same position as the technic
sets of 20 years ago. That is sets that are about using modern ideas to do
interesting things.

Also why compete with a PS2 when you can compliment it. I understand that a PS2
has a USB port and Mindstorms II also uses USB therefore it meerly becomes a
software programming exercise for Lego.

So as stated at the top I think it is up to your definition of what is Lego
Technic today.

Andrew...