 Technic / 5220
Re: LEGO Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:36:57 GMT

I had the forklift, tractor, helicopter and bulldozer. As has by now been
mentioned in a few posts, at the time the bulldozer was great. Think about
how you'd make a bulldozer with the parts that were available at the time.
Indeed the bucket would fall apart with heavy loading, and without a motor
you could only push it around. Still, I thought it was a pretty clever
thing, with compact construction.
Even though the mechanism for changing blade pitch was quite interesting I
still found the helicopter the most boring. All it did really was rotate the
blades. And if you try to fly it with rotating blades and then want to
change pitch you're a hand (or a motor) short....
Reason I asked when you were born is that I guess it would be hard to
imagine the impact of those first technic sets if you've grown up with them.
I was seven or eight when they were introduced, which I think was the
perfect age. They were still a challenge. Whereas nowadays even if some
models just take six hours (like the shuttle) because of their sheer number
of parts, with the instructions they make now you can hardly go wrong. I
once started a little survey on number of parts per illustration (steps and
substeps) 'cause I think that number has gone down dramatically, but never
finished. But that's a whole new topic....

Cheers,

Duq

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Duq" <Duq@nlgateway.net> writes:

Just curious: what year were you born?

1972, why?

The 856 bulldozer was one of the sets I really wanted when I was a
child.  I never got it, however.  I had a few of the other smaller,
early Technic sets, though: The yellow forklift, the red tractor and the
mobile crane.  I liked the mobile crane best of the said sets.

Fredrik