 Technic / 5208
Re: LEGO Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:32:32 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Selçuk Göre <ssgore@superonline.com> writes:

8855 has a unique propellor, 8868 has an older type 9V motor, 8859 has
older engine cylinders (or engine squares..:-) which probably hard to
manufacture again. So my personal choice and bet of a Lego Legend is:

856

The bulldozer has, like, two functions?  You can push it along, too,
though.

And both the functions use the same principle, a sliding rack which
pushes a lever.  Honestly, I think this is a rather boring display of
technic functions, especially considering the number of parts in this
set.

Actually I don't want to be didactic in front of a technic guru, but
after playing with this much of technic sets, any technic set could be
considered as boring. Let's check some sets:

8448 (1999) (1)

* V8 engine with functioning fan
* 5+1 speed transmission
* Differential, rear wheel drive
* Suspension, four wheels
* Steering, front wheels
* Opening trunk door
* Opening gull wings

8880 (1995) (1)

* V8 engine with functioning fan
* 4 speed transmission
* Differential, four wheel drive
* Suspension, four wheels
* Steering, four wheels
* Opening trunk door
* Opening headlights

8860 (1980) (1)

* 4-cylinder(square) boxer engine with functioning fan
* 3 speed transmission
* Differential, rear wheel drive
* Suspension, rear wheels
* Steering, rear wheels
* Adjustable seats, two axes

Almost same functions in all sets, despite the 20 years passing through
mostly because  there are not much functions from a car. I love all of
them of course, mostly since they are all neat models, and they all are
composed of bricks..:-) But there is a different place in my heart for
8860, although it is because it's from my childhood, and I'm much more
emotionally connected to it than others.

I chose 856(1) by just the same thinking. Considering how much I looked
at deeply the technic pages of my 1979 catalog that came in my newly
gifted 107, which was very new to me, since my only catalog before that
time was a 1968 one from my first set. Since I like the construction
machinery more than the other vehicles, I was mostly dreaming of 856.
Both playing with it as a model, and dreaming about having all these
chain links in my collection..:-) Needless to say, the dream never came
true.

I'd say there are lots of more recent sets with a better display of
technic functions.  Take the 8846 Tow Truck as an example.  It has
roughly the same number of parts, and a lot more functions.

I know your feelings about 8846, I remember reading a message from you
about it..:-)
But I think 856 has all the functions that I can wait from a toy
bulldozer, from a child's point of view. IMHO, of course. (And yes, I
already have 8862..:-)

The plates on the bucket of the 856 bulldozer are also prone to
falling off when playing with it.  The same problem applies to the
parts that connect the bucket to the boom.  Hence the model is
virtually unplayable.

The boring looks and compact basic brick/technic brick composition
also makes it rather unattractive, in my opinion.

This is the difference between us I think. I always prefer old classic
looks of technic sets with basic brick/technic brick composition over
the newer ones, having all sorts of make-up...:-)

Selçuk

(1) This is for Steven:..:-D

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8448
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8880