 Technic / 5216
Re: LEGO Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:37:15 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Perhaps Unimogs are not so common in the UK?

I've certainly not noticed many (any?) of them kicking about here,
although I am prepared to be proven wrong on this. I gather they are
popular in construction and agricultural use, but I've never come across
them in that capacity either. The reason I thought the Lego model was odd
was that it didn't quite look like a "proper" tipper truck, and I had
never seen a tipper truck with a digger bucket on the front either!

I've always thought that the 8846 tow truck looks like a Land Rover.
I dunno if it is actually made to look like one, though.  Do anybody
else think it looks like the Land Rover?

It does a bit, although I don't know if I'd have thought so if you hadn't
mentioned it. The spare tyre on the bonnet is implying something
though...

I remember that the only thing I disliked about the crane was the
supports on the side.  They had to be applied manually in a
non-intuitive fashion.

I didn't mind the manual deployment of the supports, it was the fact that
they had no bracing and collapsed really easily that bothered me!

It did?  I never had the 852, nor did I pay too much attention to it.
In fact, I thought it looked kinda boring.  I never knew it was so
complicated.  Gotta take a look...

A mistake in my nomenclature: the blades don't tilt, the joysticks in the
cabin change the pitch of the blades, which is what I was thinking of
when I said tilt :-) This is even better than tilting though IMHO; the
thing that amazed me was that you could rotate the blades AND make this
happen! This really impressed me at the time - you can get an idea from
here:

   http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0852/0852-10.html

The large foamy wheels off the 8848 Unimog and the 8859 blue tractor
would be nice to have more of, though.  However an accessory pack
would suffice, not a complete rerelease of the sets.

I'm sure you can get these wheels as service packs from Shop at Home at
the moment.

Jennifer