 Technic / 5214
Re: LEGO Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:11:26 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:

I remember this exactly, a friend of mine had the bulldozer and I
was so jealous of him! Aside from the set as a whole, I think the
parts I coveted most would have to be the 4 large gears, the
caterpillar tracks and the side parts of the digger bucket.

I can only say me too!  I did have the old pre-Technic gears and chain
links, but I did not have the new wide ones from the bulldozer.  I
think that if I had gotten it at the time, I would have been
disappointed.  The new wide treads have much less traction, and hence
are not so useful.  The old chain links had some long studs on the
underside which provided a lot of traction on anything except
completely even surfaces.

Since I had the red tractor, I already had all the large gears that I
needed.  So the gears were not so interesting to me.

The mobile crane was smashing at the time, in fact it was also my
favourite.

I remember that the only thing I disliked about the crane was the
supports on the side.  They had to be applied manually in a
non-intuitive fashion.  I really wanted to have some kind of automatic
unfolding system for the supports, but I had no idea how to make that
at the time.  I guess I would have been happy to see the 8460!

There was so much you could do to the basic set to improve it
without radically changing its functionality; you could easily
motorise it, lengthen the boom, put it on a proper truck...

Yes, this is the feature of the crane I liked too: It encouraged you
to tinker with it.

The red tractor had the same kind of idea, as you could build a lot of
different accessories for it.  However, I remember that I was really
frustrated at times, because it was hard to get the accessory to line
up with the power outtake on the rear part of the tractor.  Due to
this frustration, I never played too much with the tractor.  But I did
use the parts to build various other models!

[...] it was great to play with, not least in the scientific "pile
on the load until the crane tips over" way.

At the time I started getting Technic sets (at the age of six), some
of my friends were still playing with SYSTEM sets.  In fact, a lot of
them never made the conversion to Technic, I think.  Anyway, I would
use the large mobile crane to lift their small town cars.  I had a lot
of fun by lifting them all the way up, and then pressing the brick
which locked the boom, hence making the boom and the car fall to the
floor in high speed, crashing the parts all over.  Way fun!

Another set I thought was great back then was the 852 Helicopter, the
mechanism for tilting the blades was a work of genius.

It did?  I never had the 852, nor did I pay too much attention to it.
In fact, I thought it looked kinda boring.  I never knew it was so
complicated.  Gotta take a look...

Personally, I think that most of the early Technic sets would have
almost exclusively nostalgic value should they be rereleased today.

The large foamy wheels off the 8848 Unimog and the 8859 blue tractor
would be nice to have more of, though.  However an accessory pack
would suffice, not a complete rerelease of the sets.

Fredrik