 Technic / 2592
RE: Feedback on the Airtech Claw Rig (8868)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:57:49 GMT

Ran wrote:

Of course, I don't know anyone that would toss a lump of dirt into a washing
machine to test a theory, other than a scientist or researcher, although if
you have young kids it is possible you will be tossing in heaps of caked-on
mud, which, essentially, is dirt ...  ;-)

Actually,  I'd pick "young kids" as the most likely to perform the
experiment.  With "engineering undergrads" a close second,  and "a
scientist or researcher" a distant third  ;-)

You've got the order wrong, the engineering undergrad is most likely...

I'd be leery of using a clothes washer:  it seems likely that the
agitation would bash the pieces against one another,  causing
scratches and edge/corner dings.

I'm not sure where you live, but remember that European clothes washers
are generally front loading and have no agitator. The clothes tumbling
upon themselves (with controlled amounts of water) provides the cleaning
action.

Only North American washers have a top loading tub which is filled with a
wasteful amount of water and then agitated with an incredibly complex
bit of machinery and mechanical transmission.

I think I recall someone trying to make one out of LEGO, come to think of
it.

Anyways, I think the European machines would be a bit gentler...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com