 Star Wars / 8789
Re: The 2001 lineup (list on FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:04:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:

You might be surprised.  Putting the "UFO" alien helmet on a trans-orange head
produces a very dark eyesocket.  The visor slit for the Imperial Guard would
probably be about the same size.  If they actually made it trans-red, it would
come out looking very much like the picture on the official site, I think.

You're right about this, but you have to remember that the UFO helmets put
some distance between the head and the slits... this allows for shadowing.
The Imperial Guard's helmet will be more like the ninja masks, which have the
slits right against the head with nothing above to allow for shadowing.  Put
the same trans-orange head into a ninja mask and you'll see what I mean.  It
is darkened a bit because light doesn't penetrate the mask, but it's still
orange.  The slit on the guard helmet should be smaller than the one on the
mask, but it will still look too red for my taste.  A black head is most
likely what we'll get.

The Hasbro figs are probably painted black because, really, they do look black
in practice, and you can't really "paint" trans-red.  Molding the face and
then placing a dark trans-red visor over it would be ridiculously hard.

That's right... a "trans" color allows light to penetrate it, painted it
wouldn't be "trans."

My guess is that Lego will go for a black head, a la Boba Fett, though.

eric

Yup.  It just makes more sense.  As stated, either way I'll be happy.

-Bryan