 Star Wars / 8785
Re: The 2001 lineup (list on FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:

It would look dark red (or black) on a "human size" helmet, but in lego it
would still look red because it's so small and there's not enough plastic to
produce a shadowing effect... that would have been the case on the action
figure as well, that's why they went with black.  The standard lego trans-red
isn't dark enough (IMO) so lego would need to make a darker trans-red to make
it look right... I imagine though that they will just make it black...

You might be surprised.  Putting the "UFO" alien helmet on a trans-orange head
produces a very dark eyesocket.  The visor slit for the Imperial Guard would
probably be about the same size.  If they actually made it trans-red, it would
come out looking very much like the picture on the official site, I think.

The Hasbro figs are probably painted black because, really, they do look black
in practice, and you can't really "paint" trans-red.  Molding the face and then
placing a dark trans-red visor over it would be ridiculously hard.

My guess is that Lego will go for a black head, a la Boba Fett, though.

eric