 Star Wars / 8783
Re: The 2001 lineup (list on FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

The "visors" are black in ROTJ... as for ESB, the Royal Guards aren't in the
original, they might be in SE, I dunno 'cause I haven't watched it much.

No that was my fault, for some reason I was thinking 'greet the emperor' scene
was in ESB.  Um... Narf.

Happens to the best of us my friend... :)

was there... anyway, the visor was black.

That is really weird cause after fast forwarding to the scence and looking at
the stills from the Behind the Magic CD-ROM it is clearly obvious that the
visors are trans-red as you can see the gaurds eyes.  It is not a reflection.
(though it could be movie trickery but I doubt it as shown below) As I said
the 50US$ Offical reproduction also has a trans-red visor.

Well, as Mark already said the official site shows the visors as trans-red as
well...  I think we're probably both right, that it's just a very dark red and
my eyes aren't as good as yours so it looks black to me... <G>  As for the
Halloween helmet, I've seen it and the visor is trans-red, but I always
thought that was just so the kids could see out...

You forget that it will look dark red because it will only be visible through
a small arced slit in the front.  (the 'visor') Personally I think that makes
far more sense than black because there is no black on a Royal Gaurd in the
movies. (form an artistic design standpoint, it looks way better than the
original concept art that had a black visor*)

It would look dark red (or black) on a "human size" helmet, but in lego it
would still look red because it's so small and there's not enough plastic to
produce a shadowing effect... that would have been the case on the action
figure as well, that's why they went with black.  The standard lego trans-red
isn't dark enough (IMO) so lego would need to make a darker trans-red to make
it look right... I imagine though that they will just make it black...

I don't have any trans-red heads (has lego ever made one?) but I do have a
couple trans-orange heads that came with one of the UFO sets, I threw one
inside a ninja "hat" and it looks orange... the "hat" darkens it a bit, but
not enough for my tastes.  I tried the same thing with a trans-red 1x1 round
brick, and it still looks red.  I just don't think the Royal Guard would look
right with a trans-red head... but it would be cool to get some trans red
heads... so either way I'll be happy...<G>

-Lord Insanity

*The Behind the Magic CD-ROM shows some behind the scences pics the concept
art shows a black visor but the "finished costume" shot shows a trans-red
one.  There is NO MISTAKING that it is trans-red and NOT a glare in this pic.

I believe you, the official SW site shows them as trans-red too... but I know
the visor was black on the costume I saw.  I suppose it's possible it just
looked black because of the lighting or possibly whatever was inside the
helmet (dummy head or stuffing) but it was black.  I walked all around the
thing and spent quite a bit of time looking at it (because the Royal Guards
are my favorite cool-looking characters from the SW movies) and the visor was
black.  I also spent a good amount of time with the Emporer's Robe, Vader's
Helmet, and the full size Speeder Bike...  as well as the Star Destroyer
model, etc, etc, etc... it was just one of the coolest exhibits I've ever been
too... <G>

-Bryan