 Star Wars / 8742
Re: The 2001 lineup (list on FBTB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:39:18 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:

Tim says here that he asked Brad J. first, if he could run with the info,
before posting it...

  http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8711

...so it must be OK for us to talk about it...and Brad hasn't come out and
denied having given the OK to Tim.

BTW, Rebelscum.com also has a list (but posted after FBTB's first-posting).
The two lists are a tiny bit different in the wording and ordering, but
essentially the same.  Below, interleaved, is what FBTB shows and what RSC
shows, and also interleaved with your (Bryan) comments.  I put them in FBTB's
order since FBTB posted the info first.  I'm excited about these.

FBTB> Escape Pod with C-3PO and R2-D2
RSC> Escape Pod w/C-3PO & R2-D2
1) This one's not a big suprise.

Whatever this turns out like, I hope that it is to scale with a minifig-scale
Tantive IV!  :-)  BTW, were there ever any escape pods collected by Jawas in
Ep4?  You'd think they'd've eventually picked up the one that Threepio & Artoo
crashed in, if they hadn't been slaughtered by Imperial Troops.

Yes, it would be great if it were to scale!  The Jawas would have scavenged
the escape pod, I would imagine they didn't because if they did then the
Stormtroopers wouldn't have anything to find... <G>  Maybe this set will come
with a Stormtrooper too... who knows?

FBTB> Droid Transport with Pilot Battle Droid and 10 Battle Droids
RSC> Battle Droid Carrier w/Security Battle Droid (blue chest) & Battle • Droids.
2) Didn't we already get one of these?  I thought that's what the MTT was...

Hmmm...Page 8 of the Episode I Cross-Sections book shows something called a
"Troop Transport", but it says that it carries 112 ready-to-deploy Battle
Droids.  If this is what it is, it got juniorized down to 10 from 112 (plus
2 drivers).

Hmmm... I'll have to check out that book.  I'm not complaining, but it just
seems that maybe Lego is grasping at straws to produce Episode I sets...  I
just hope they have a Royal Cruiser in the works somewhere...

FBTB> AT-ST with Chewbacca
RSC> AT-ST w/Chewbacca
3) I can't wait to see what Lego's rendition of this one looks like.

To be accurate to Ep6, isn't it also supposed to have two Ewoks if it has
Chewie?  Or maybe Chewie got hungry or didn't like having his hair played
with.  :-)

hehehehe... I can see Chewie coughing up a hairball with bits of Ewok in it...
<G>

FBTB> TIE Fighter with TIE Pilot and Stormtrooper
RSC> TIE Fighter w/TIE Pilot and Stormtrooper
4) Finally!  This is what we've all been waiting for folks...  Lets hope it
comes with two of the "ones we've been waiting for."

Gawd I hope they make this good.  And with light sky blue rather than gray,
if they can pull it off.

Why a Stormtrooper in this set?  (Not that I'm complaining! :)  Can't wait to
see the TIE Pilot minifig!  Didn't see enough of those in Ep4.

I agree, it needs to be in good colors.  I imagine though that it will have
the same color scheme as Vader's TIE.  The TIE Pilot minifig will be very
cool... I think when I see it I'll feel the same way I did when I saw the
minifig Vader for the first time... :)

FBTB> Imperial Shuttle with Emperor Palpatine and 2 Royal Guards
RSC> Imperial Shuttle w/Emperor and 2 Red Royal Guards
5) Another great one.  Let's hope Lego can pull this off well...

I wonder if the Red Royal Guards will have full-body drop-on plastic tops like
the Castle/Pirates ghost minifig?  I wonder what their faces will look like
underneath -- solid black heads like the ghost, or classic smileys?  :)

I hope that Lego opts to make a helmet/full body cape combo.  The drop-on
plastic top would work, but wouldn't look as cool.  I imagine the heads will
be solid black (like Fett's,) but who knows?

FBTB> Watto's Junkyard with Watto and Aldar Beedo
RSC> Watto's Junkyard w/Watto and Aldar Beedo
6) This is probably the one set I'm not really looking forward to.  Maybe it
will be cool, but I doubt it.

I hope Watto's wings are detachable and clip-on to other stuff and that he's
not a single-piece of feldercarb like Sebulba.

Who is Aldar Beedo?

I also hope that Watto comes with some clear pieces so he looks like he's
floating.  This could be a cool set if it comes with a variety of droids, but
I think it will probably just be some misc. podracer parts.

I dunno who Aldar Beedo is, I think he was one of the Podracer pilots...

FBTB> Technic C-3PO
RSC> Technic C-3PO
7) I imagine this will be the one from Episode I... I think it would be too
expensive (and too "unlegolike") to make the one from the classic trilogy.

I saw this and I went ... wha...?  But then ya! it could sure be neat if he
was the Ep1 version all see-through and stuff.  I totally agree that it would
be weird if he looked like the Ep4-6 Threepio.

I don't know how they'd pull of a fully-"armored" 3PO... I just know that if
they tried (at least with technic) it would end up looking cheesy.  A "naked"
3PO would work well with technic however...

FBTB> Technic Stormtrooper
RSC> Technic Stormtrooper
8) All I have to say is "why?"  This may end up being cool, but it just
doesn't seem obvious to me how.

Maybe it'll have a cool gun!

--Todd

True enough!  Plus we'll get a bunch of white technic pieces, which isn't all
bad... <G>  They did a great job with the Pit droid, Battle droid, and
Destroyer droid, so maybe they'll pull it off...

-Bryan