 Star Wars / 7758
Re: ok, lets play this again, what sets should we see in November
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:56:00 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Johnston writes:

On the other hand, I don't think either of those leap to a kids mind as
"what kind of toy should I get".  Look instead for vehicles that played
an actual role in the films...

Definitely a good point.
That's why I doubt a $50 Imperial Shuttle will be produced.  It's not
recognizable enough to warrant such a high price tag.  This is a guess,
but I think it's recognition would be comparable to that of the A-wing
or B-wing, and the 'cool' factor is even lower - fighters are definitely
cooler.  I personally don't understand the interest that collectors seem
to have in the Shuttle.

The most important elements of the Star Wars universe that are missing:
Death Star
Star Destroyer (one of the most important craft in all three original films)
AT-AT
AT-ST
TIE Fighter
Stormtropers
Yoda

Anything else - the Shuttle, Jabba, Ewoks, Jawas - comes after these, in
terms of general (not collector) recognition.
I realize they are all Imperial sets (except Yoda), and that's because
Lego has put a greater emphasis on the good guys so far.  Poor Darth Vader
is all alone in his TIE, up against X-wings, Y-wings, A-wings and B-wings.
Since little Johnny got an X-wing last Christmas (kids would rather swoosh
around in good guy ships), maybe he'd like a TIE fighter to blow the wings
off of this Christmas.

I personally don't think Death Star sets are a great idea.  Lego is better
for building things than places. The Death Star is a place because it's too
big to be a thing.  Sets made of places are bound to be mostly walls and/or
floor ie. boring.  I'm having trouble visualizing what Death Star sets would
look like, but maybe I'm just unimaginative.

The size of Star Destroyers is prohibitive, too.  It is unfortunate, because
they play such an important role in the films.  I'd love to see a scaled-down,
minifig-free set for the Star Destroyer, or at the very least, a UCS set.

Jeff J