 Space / 32457
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:42:56 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:
On "real" cargo container trains (where the semi-trailers look like they're
riding on the rails rather than on top of a large flat bed car),

Semi trailers and cargo containers are very different beasts.  Cargo containers
are just big boxes.  No wheels or anything, and they come in long and short
varieties (where 2 shorts = 1 long).  Standard cargo container cars are
basically just flatbeds, but mostly what you see these days are the more
effecient "articulated well flat car", which rides the container between the
trucks so it's barely above the surface of the rails.  Dropping it down this far
gets it low enough that a second container can be stacked on top of it:

http://www.midcentral-region-nmra.org/Scouts/Flat_cars/Containers.JPG

From what I understand, the "articulated" part of it is that this type of car
doesn't have two dedicated trucks like a normal car does.  Rather, there is a
single truck between every adjacent pair of cars, so a string of 10 of these
will only have 11 trucks combined.

the single wheel set is located underneath the semi-trailer, near the road
wheelset, but I can't seem to find any pictures online.

I had never heard of these, nor seen them in use (and cargo trains make at least
once-a-day runs through this area), but I found an image of what you described:

http://www.midcentral-region-nmra.org/Scouts/Flat_cars/roadrailer.jpg

These also appear to be of the articulated variety, as there is a truck at
either end of the Amtrak semi trailer, and what appears to be a second unbranded
trailer linked to the rear truck.

Both images were linked from this page:

http://www.midcentral-region-nmra.org/Scouts/Flat-Cars.htm